Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing a restock and looking for ideas.

Tank has been stocked with 5 firemouths but no luck in getting a pair so I may keep the nicest one and unload the rest. I'd really like a pair of something less aggressive to spawn surrounded by a few other smaller cichlids and or dithers.

Or what about only one pair of larger more aggressive species?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Jaws, how long have the FMs been together? Also how large are they? You may want to give them a little more time together to pair off. If you would like to breed something convicts are easy to breed, you could also take a look at cutteri or sajicas if you are not a fan of convicts, they are closley related to cons and just as easy to breed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I recently got a pair of Rainbow Cichlids (H.Multispinosa)and i love em. colourful, cheerful, non aggressive and not TOO harsh on planted setups :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a pair of Rainbow cichlids and a pair of Sajica. Originally I had the pair of Rainbows and got 6 juv Sajica to get a pair. When 2 paired off, I rehomed the other 4. At the moment, both pairs have fry. They mostly stay to their side of the tank with an occasional standoff in the center.

Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bpman, You really got me wondering about how old they are. I just found a petco receipt with a 2/29/09 date on it!

Something is not right here! These fish are severely stunted or the slowest growing fish I've ever kept! They have been in a 55g the whole time! The largest one is maybe 3.5-4" (guessing)while the smallest is somewhere near the two inch mark.

I never realized so much time has passed. No wonder I'm ready to give up on them.

Other fish that I've had put on size just fine for me. I did pick up some cons formy 29g a month ago and I can see the diff in size already.

Hmm....I think the FM are just poor quality!

Thats it, they are going to lfs tommorrow!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Poor quality fish at PETCO NO WAY!!!!!!!!! *sarcasm* Not to sound like a snob but the only thing I would buy out of a tank at petco are ghost shrimp to feed my cichlids and that's only cuz shrimp can't carry fish diseases. I would ask your LFS if they have Sajicas or any other non-typical cichlid on their list to order, most non-chain stores will be willing to look and order them if they show up on their lists. There are usually some really cool fish on their lists but they never order them because there is not a huge demand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my 55 gal I have a Pair of 3.5in JDs, a pictus cat and a emperor tetra. I set up the tank to look like a river/ lake bed Its pretty sweet

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would suggest rainbows if you want something not to aggressive. I just got some a couple weeks ago and they already bred and I have hundreds of fry in my tank. Mine are in a 29 with swordtails but they're amazing fish. Another amazing fish I have in my 55 is jewel cichlid, they're an amazing fish as well especially when breeding but they are super aggressive, but in a 55 they should have enough space to not bother your other fish. Those are my suggestions though, I'm not a big fan of cutteri of sanjicas, I'd rather keep cons but it's your tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.