Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name there name and if they are mildly aggressive of super aggressive of moderate just want some ideas.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depends on what you're talking about for Malawi species....I've never kept a peacock or Hap tank, so I can only speak on mbunas. For me it's what's the most multiple colors I can get outta a fish. Like my Met. Zebra Long Pelvic...I love that fish. He has a yellow to brown bottom half with purple/blue body and golden yellow vertical stripes. He also has a bit of black in him. i also love the long fins....He's very colorful, and that's what I look for. I'd take a pic of him but I have a really crappy camera and my internet at home is all jacked up...lol....here is a pic of what he almost idnentically looks like

http://bluegrassaquatics.com/pseudotrop ... elvic.html

·
Registered
359 Posts
I keep otopharynx lithobates z-rock, but also think that the lethrinops species are really cool. The lithobates I would categorize as completely non-aggressive when not spawning, but mildly to moderately aggressive during the few days after a female has begun to hold. I have heard that most lethrinops are peaceful to mildly aggressive.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Met. Membe Deep & Met. Chailosi. IME both are mildly aggressive, both have nice colors & the females aren't drab.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
DEMASONIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, sorry, Pseudotropheus demasoni.
High conspecific aggression, otherwise, moderately aggressive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Crabos
Aratus
Kenyi

3 of my faves obviously more aggressive.

Also Icy Blue Grashakei are nice to look at beautiful fish.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
slh666 said:
Crabos
Aratus
Kenyi

3 of my faves obviously more aggressive.

Also Icy Blue Grashakei are nice to look at beautiful fish.
I think you mean Pseudotropheus crabro, Melanochromis auratus and Metriaclima lombardoi.
And Metriaclima greshakei (Albino)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm more of a hap guy, so here's mine:

Fossochromis rostratus. The least aggressive of the commonly available 12"+ Malawi cichlids. Males show a blue/purple/black color not found on any other Malawi cichlids. Constantly sifting, moving *LOTS* of sand. Toss in some blue "follower" Placidochromis and watch some really great behavior.

Another gentle giant is the Mara Rocks Protomelas spilonotus. Males get about 10"-12" and by far the least aggressive Protomelas I've kept. They are true open-water haps and will spend a lot of time towards the top of the tank.. I think they're the only Protomelas that is a natural surface feeder.

Arictochromis chrysti is cool in it's shear aggression and destructive capacity as an adult. Their mouth is scaled more like a largemouth bass than a cichlid and that beak is just plain ridiculous.

If you're looking for behavior in haps/peacocks/mbuna, the best way to observe it is to keep species tanks or groups of fish. Otherwise, they're all just pretty single males picking on each other and looking for you to feed them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GTZ said:
LOL So I take it your enjoying them? Hope you are and I as Well have become a big fan of the Pseudotropheus demasoni. Up to 5 Holding for sure now.

Have no idea what I am gonna do with all these. :roll:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got to throw my 2 cents in. I am a huge fan of the metriaclima msobo. Males are amazing looking and females give a good yellow look to the tank. Imo this species is moderately aggressive. My male is top dog in my tank, but doesn't constantly chase other fish around. Everynow and then he will "demostrate" to the others when they get out of line so to speak :) But nothing serious

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
My two favs are my

Labeotropheus fuelleborni Charo 'White Belly'
Cynotilapia sp. 'Mbamba' Mpanga Rocks

neither of them are overly agressive, but the Cyno male is like a pitbull when it comes to his territory. Still waiting for the fuelles to mature to see what they are like

·
Registered
509 Posts
Cyn. Lion "Mara Rocks" is my favorite in my tank right now.

I have a moderately aggressive to aggressive tank in general and these guys rule it at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
GTZ said:
+2

·
Registered
922 Posts
All Cynotilapias are a ton if fun. They arent overly aggressive and have interesting behavior.
So pick your favorite color and go fr it.

Also, ps. Flavus are great, a bit aggressive but very cool.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my favorite would have to be Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef) both reg and albino. not overyly agressive but will hold his own.

and a close second is Sciaenochromis fryeri i love them for there very bright matalic blue, with a nice white blaze, and you might get a "flash" of yellow in the pelvic/tail fins. they also color up very fast.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just about all of them! They all have a unique beauty of them in their own way.

But if I had to choose(biased!), for mbuna I would lean toward the Afras as well. Even a couple of my females light up like the male on occasion. A close second would be Elongatus Chailosi, followed by the Marmalade Cat Fuelleborni.

For Haps and Peacocks, it's tough. I do like the Z-Rock O. Lithobates, but I've become a big fan of my O. Tetrastigma. He has some subtly stunning colors and markings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts