Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
It depends on what you want the pleco for. Best looking? Not the bristlenose, IMO. :lol: Best for a Tang tank if you want algae control? Then I agree, IMO :thumb: BN are best.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree. I had brown algae growing all over the rocks in a newly setup tang tank and threw in a little BN. He went right to work, and I haven't had a hint of algae since!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If algae control ends up being the need here - there is no comparison to the zebra nerrite snails (period). They even eat up brown diatoms like crazy. They do an amazing job.

INHO,
Russ

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
See Razzo I did not have that experience with nerites. I've tried both zebra and olive nerites now. They helped, but the BN did a more thorough job. And the Tangs were a little rough on my nerites. So I can't completely go along with the idea that "nerites are best, period". :thumb:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
DJRansome said:
See Razzo I did not have that experience with nerites. I've tried both zebra and olive nerites now. They helped, but the BN did a more thorough job. And the Tangs were a little rough on my nerites. So I can't completely go along with the idea that "nerites are best, period". :thumb:
Thanks DJRansome, you are right :)

In a hobby like ours, I usually cringe after I hit the submit button on a reply when I have made such a definative statement like "period." I tried to soften it with a "IMHO" in my siganture.

LOL - there are always something to learn in this hobby.

Just about the time that I think I am able to stand under my own strength, I fall :)

Russ

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agee with BN plecos, I never see a speck of algae in the tank and almost never see the pleco either must be a nightshift guy. Otos and Nerites are amazing little guys too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My BNs never made a big impact on algae, but to be fair, I had a huge algae problem I was combating at the time. I couldn't even keep up with it, so to blame the BN might be unfair. He seemed to gorge every once in a while, then wait it out for a while, then have another go at it.

On the other hand, the nerites are doing a great job in one of my tanks. They don't clean all the algae, but the rocks that usually get covered often have patterns in them from where the nerites wandered around decimating algae. I also only have 3 in a 110g, so I was considering increasing their numbers to see if it made an impact.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had what I think where nerites. Great algae eater but they laid white eggs EVERYWHERE. 100s of white eggs on a black background/heater/rock etc just looked terrible so I removed them. Just a heads up...if it's the same snail they do come with baggage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think everyone has the wrong attitude.

IMHO, Pelcos don't belong in a tang tank.

They're from a completely different habitat, with different needs than tangs. They aren't entirely "cleaner" fish. They eats lots of things, and create lots of waste. You may end up even changing your normal tanganyikan feeding habits to better meet the dietary needs of the pleco(s).

It's sort of like solving a minor problem by bringing in another problem. Killing rats with rattlesnakes.

So is algae really a problem? are we talking about a bit of growth on the rocks or green water you cant see through? If it's green water you can't see through, there could be something your doing wrong, it might just be your combination of lights and water conditions, or waterever. In any case, a pleco won't solve that problem. If it's algae on your rocks, let it grow! It will make the tank look more natural, more mature, more real, and less "fish-tank-like". The best tanks have lots of plant life, including several types of algae, growing all over. Look at fmueller's tanks. They're great, without plecos, and with algae: http://www.youtube.com/user/fmueller1?b ... Ro3AfE7SPY

*I hope he doesn't mind me posting his video.

Also, you never mentioned the size of tank you have, the other inhabitants, or type of filtration. A pleco just may push you over the bioload.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ox777 I have to agree with you to a point, plantlife and algae is a beautiful natural aquascape and plecos are wastemakers and from other regions.

However, many of the plants you can grow in hard alkaline water are slow growers and need the help of other fish for algae control otherwise they will get choked out. Also most plecos out there are not true algae eaters and do require being fed, Otos, Nerites, Siamese NOT chinease algae eaters, and BN plecos are all self sufficient feeders if you give them a small piece of driftwood for fiber and have enough algae growth to keep there bellies full.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ox777 said:
Look at fmueller's tanks. They're great, without plecos, and with algae: http://www.youtube.com/user/fmueller1?b ... Ro3AfE7SPY

*I hope he doesn't mind me posting his video.

Also, you never mentioned the size of tank you have, the other inhabitants, or type of filtration. A pleco just may push you over the bioload.
I'm not sure I'm looking at algae in fmuellers tank, looks more to me like "moss gone crazy".

·
Registered
242 Posts
fmuellers tanks have slow growing plants, such as mosses, anubiases (anubii?), and ferns. He mentions on his website how his plants compete against the algae, making maintenance easy.

I see a healthy amount of algae build up in his tanks. It's on the rocks, wood, and plants. Would probably be on the glass and substrate if he didn't vacuum/scrape it off.

I have a small julie tank. No plants. No algae eaters. There is a beautiful carpet of green algae on some of the rocks and I wouldn't dare think of intentionally removing it.

Anyways, the Original Poster hasn't commented back. We still don't even know what OP means by "best" pleco or why OP wants BN. We're all assuming OP wants it for algae control. Seems it became common knowledge at some point on the internet that BN Plecos are ideal and essential for african cichlid community tanks, because they eat algae. Maybe I'm a snob, or a purest, or just an aquarist trying to do what's best, but I refuse to believe that this is sound advice. But it's popular advice. Yes, it's generally agreed that they are the best at eating algae. Yes hundreds of people have successfully kept them in african cichlid tanks. So go ahead, add the BN Plecos. You might also consider some zebra danios. They're great dithers.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Frank has had BN plecos breeding like crazy in that tank. I"ve been in front of it, and agree that it's an exceptional setup.

I keep BN plecos in many of my tang tanks and am happy with the job they do cleaning algae. I've also kept danios, at times, in some of my cichlid tanks as dithers. They do work great. I do what I like and what I need to, it's my hobby. My advice to all would be to keep that attitude about your hobby and your own tanks. It's the right attitude. Don't let anyone on an Internet forum impress their likes/dislikes on you to the extent that it influences those decisions.

Enjoy your fish. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts