Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine love pellets, frozen blood worms and earthworms chopped finely for a treat once every two months.

·
Registered
554 Posts
peas. Shelled, chopped up peas. They can't get enough of it. Stuff their mouths so full that they can't close them, and then they chase each other to try and get more in there.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
The anubias and valisneria that I tried to plant :lol:

Squege56: Be careful about the bloodworms and earthworms. People have reported bloodworms triggering digestive problems and malawi bloat in mbuna (and some haps).

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
It can be safer to stick to aquatic proteins like krill or mysis shrimp although none of those are necessary if you feed a balanced food. Fatty proteins like bloodworms are probably not the best idea, even as a snack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My guys love peas, but are very fond of a piece of Romaine lettuce.... Leave it for overnight, and they do some damage....

But sinking pellets are what they really kill for...... :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The blood worms and earth worms are only a treat once or twice a month but thank you for the warning. :fish:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just feed NLS pellets and spirulina Flake.. Pellets in the morning and spirulina in the evening.. They are very healthy and colorful. Growing like weeds as well :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
NLS!! I've tried all the Hikari cichlid foods and IMHO its no comparison. They go bonkers for the NLS! I also throw some frozen mysis shrimp in a few times a month as a treat. I'd like to try Dainichi as many ppl here recommend, but haven't seen it around these parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unlike my other tanks where I mix in frozen worms and shrimp and other heavier meaty foods in my Mbuna tank I feed two different types of flake and pellet foods designed for Malawi Cichlids twice a day. They seem to be thriving after 11 months.

·
Registered
350 Posts
nls, and flake for cichlids. never tried frozen bloodworm or any frozen meaty food before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
rgr4475, Your tank and fish are awesome, beautiful fish, esp the venustus and dolphins, well they're all beautiful fish. I see you have a young frontie in there, does that work ok? I've got a frontie in with a lot of the fish you have, but seems like everyone disagrees with this. Yours looks healthy and brightly, unstressed, colored. Again beautiful fish!

·
Registered
532 Posts
drexel187 said:
NLS!! I've tried all the Hikari cichlid foods and IMHO its no comparison. They go bonkers for the NLS! I also throw some frozen mysis shrimp in a few times a month as a treat. I'd like to try Dainichi as many ppl here recommend, but haven't seen it around these parts.
Just the opposite for me. My convict loves all Hikari pellets, even tetra cichlid sticks, but everytime I try to feed him NLS, he just chews it and spits it back out. I think he prefers flakes, even zebra danios to NLS.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
griffk said:
rgr4475, Your tank and fish are awesome, beautiful fish, esp the venustus and dolphins, well they're all beautiful fish. I see you have a young frontie in there, does that work ok? I've got a frontie in with a lot of the fish you have, but seems like everyone disagrees with this. Yours looks healthy and brightly, unstressed, colored. Again beautiful fish!
Thank you very much. I actually redid the rock work and need to take a new video. As far as the Front, yes it has been working but it's not the ideal situation for him. He doesn't get picked on and he is able to eat well even though he is very timid. But I feel bad that he is by himself with all those swift swimming fish. I either want to set up a Front tank or end up getting rid of him in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts