Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some much needed constructive AND unnecessary criticism. I have mapped out a potential fish list for a 150g-Tall, sand substrate, Malawi setup. I am still unsure about my male:male and male:female ratios. Are there any, "Rules of thumb" on this subject? Helpful advice would be appreciated. Don't think that cross-breeding never crossed my mind. I fear that as well.

Also I questioned the Exochromis. There was not much helpful information regarding this species. I am hesitant about stocking them because from what I could find they may become much bigger and potential bullies. Any truth to that?

I'm not interested in an "All-Male" tank because I simply dont have the extra tanks to be weeding out fish down the road. I figured that with a healthy balance of M&F (Adolescent NOT Adult)and a large population I could cut stress without damaging the integrity of the male's color. Or am I just WAY off? Is this enough fish for a 150gal?
I'll hang up and listen, thanks for taking my call.
:popcorn:

-Exochromis anagenys (1m&2f)
-Protomelas taeniolatus (1m&2f)
-Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Mamelela" and/or "Otter Point" (3m&4f)
-Protomelas sp. 'Johnstoni Solo' (2m&3f)
-RedTop Lwanda (2m&3f)
-Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) (2m&3f)
-Aulonocara dragon blood (2m&2f)
-SYNODONTIS ANGELICUS X 1
-Synodontis Brichardi X 1

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm not interested in an "All-Male" tank because I simply dont have the extra tanks to be weeding out fish down the road. I figured that with a healthy balance of M&F (Adolescent NOT Adult)and a large population I could cut stress without damaging the integrity of the male's color. Or am I just WAY off? Is this enough fish for a 150gal?
Even in M:F tanks, with malawi there is always a good chance you will need to do some weeding out at some point. Sometimes, females can't take the stress and will need to be removed, and sometimes males of different species will fight even though the profile says they shouldn't.

Now, here is some information about peacocks - pretty much all the females of each species look exactly the same. Most people, even experienced fish keepers, really can't tell them apart. This means if you mix females from different species, you will probably never be able to separate them and know for sure exactly which species it is, even if you know it is a pure "something". This is why peaciock breeding tanks are kept single species - you don't want to mix peacock females.

I think the same can be said about some hap species as well, but as I've never kept haps or peacocks I can't say for sure. I will say based on my research, you'll probably be better off going all male with haps and peacocks. The males won't fight as much if there aren't any females to fight over, and you can have many more species/variety. Knowing what I know about mbuna, if you want breeding groups, you're probably going to be limited to 4 or 5 breeding groups (species) depending on the footprint of the 150 and the size/aggression of the fish you pick, with 1m to Xf of each species - giving you 4-5 colorful fish, and lots of drab colored females. Reason is, multiple males of an individual species will fight over the females, only the dominant 1 will color up anyways, and the subdom will not be happy and may get killed by the dominant fish if not from stress.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so what Im getting here is, with a Peacock/Hap "All Male" tank I can mix species with more than 1 male of each species? Or stick to ONE male per species?

Do I have to start with small Juvis then weed?
Or
Will Adolescent/sub-adult males do ok if they are put in all at once?
(Keeping in mind the Nitrate spike & water changes)

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Ok so what Im getting here is, with a Peacock/Hap "All Male" tank I can mix species with more than 1 male of each species? Or stick to ONE male per species?
One male per species. Multiple males from the same species will fight and likely not all show color.

Or
Either way can work. I'm not sure if one way works better than the other, though. Maybe others with an all-male tank can chime in.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
frontosaSo said:

Or
(Keeping in mind the Nitrate spike & water changes)
The ideal is one male each species and every species kept should look as different as possible and IME you definitely want at least a 10gallon hospital/timeout/re-home tank available to setup if/when needed.

Best way I've found is to buy them is as sub-adults/juvies that can be sexed.

I will introduce them to the big boys and if they can't hang - pull them out, and let them grow a bit more, and try again.

You want to introduce them 3 at a time (or more) if possible.

When adding new males to the adults, I always empty the tank of all rock put the new guys in drain 80+% reload the rock differently and refill. I try to change everything, so the new guys don't get hammered.

All-male is an unorthodoxed way of stocking and every tank will be different because the individual personalities of the males have such a large impact, what works for me, may very well blow up for you, and visa versa.

Given that, I really love my all male tank - the boys have been hanging together for a year and a half and still going strong.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts