Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant remember but I think my brother had anubias. It was very hardy, Is this correct? WHat others are there and can anybody post photos or links. What kind of anubias are there? WHat they look like? ANy other plants would be cool to look and talk about. THanks

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
The rift lakes are not home to anubias and much of the lake where our fish are found is plant-free. More sand and rocks.

There are swampy shallows where the haps spawn and corresponding predators lurk, but they migrate to this habitat, living the rest of their lives in the more plant-free areas.

There is a species of vallisneria in the lakes.

If you just want plants that survive well with the high pH of a rift tank, then add anubias, swords and crypts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i second the anubias swords and crypts. on a side note however once u find a spot for your crypts dont go moving them. they dont take too well to being changed around. typically many of the leaves on them when u first buy will die off. takes a month or two but theyll come back most of the time. GL to ya (long term they look great)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think ill go anubias only. I have 120 gallon tank 6 feet long 20 inches or so high. What would be good bulb for them as well as making my fish look best. I dont want to run a bunch of bulbs maybe 1 or 2 most. I have 2 3 foot lights on tank. ty

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would run a couple 50/50 bulbs or a 10,000k and an actinic which is basically what the 50/50's are. They give off a very nice color that really brings out the blues. For plants though you may want to try a 50/50 paired witha 6700k. I read post after post after post trying to figure out which bulbs I wanted and I still ended up trying out 3 different ones until I was satisfied lol.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Columbo? The only thing I can think of is Cabomba?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i am a huge fan of anacharis. its not a rift lake plant though. they love to eat it though. it grows pretty fast if i keep enough of it, it grows faster than they eat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts