Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had a holding female spit her fry for the first time! I have them in a clear plastic tote which is fed water from the main tank so they dont die from shock due to water parameters.
i was just wondering what and how to feed these babies. i have read that they could still be feeding off their yolk sack but the information was ambiguous and with all the different means of raising fry, i thought i would post here to clarify. i have a spirulina flake that im feeding the main tank.

look forward to seeing your answers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will they "ask" for food? or will i have to put the food right in front of them on the bottom of the tank?
also i have rocks in there for them, is this ok or should i take them out?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
At first they may ignore the food, but usually at least one will show interest and the others learn in a day or two...as long as they have no egg sac.

You may want minimal (even one) rock for a couple days so you can see them and monitor their condition.

I swish the food in some water and dump from a bit of a height to make a swoosh when food is added...they learn what that means really quickly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok sure. there is only 8 fry due to the size of the holding female so i hope one of them gets the picture. they dont appear to have an egg sac.
ill try that with the food, sounds like a good idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts