Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
The ghost shrimp should only be a treat. In fact, I would stop feeding it and feed store bought shrimp instead. Buy it fresh or frozen, if frozen then thaw first and rinse under cool water, rinse the fresh stuff too. :)

Shrimp is probably the best food you could feed a cichlid besides pellets.

I personally do not like to feed live food of any kind unless it is bred in my fish room. To much of a risk of disease.

You can also feed earth worms. Ever met a fish that doesn't like em?

Crickets are another good food to feed, I would gut load them first by feeding them something healthy like orange slices for a few days... Then drop one in the tank. :)

Pellets should be a staple diet and anything listed should only be a treat once a week :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
TheFishGuy

When you say shrimp is the best for cichlids, do you mean specifically SA/CA cichlids or would that work for Herbivore Mbunas as a treat too?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I had never tried shrimp when I had my mbuna tank set up, but they seemed to eat everything else! I fed them all sorts of different pellets that carnivors would eat so why not give it a try... Worst case you'd have to remove what's uneaten... Unless you have a pleco in the tank who would gladly clean it up!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not to hijack but I have some old jars of Beta flakes & pellets laying around. Ok to feed a couple juvy Os this once in a while? Nothing wrong with a little extra color enhancing nutrients, no? And do fish care how old flake/pellet food is?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
WaWaZat said:
Not to hijack but I have some old jars of Beta flakes & pellets laying around. Ok to feed a couple juvy Os this once in a while? Nothing wrong with a little extra color enhancing nutrients, no? And do fish care how old flake/pellet food is?
If they're old they will not have much nutrition or color enhancing properties to them. I feed all my fish pond pellets bought at the feed store. $17.95 for fifty pounds. I don't have any color issues with my fish.... LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
WaWaZat said:
If they're old they will not have much nutrition or color enhancing properties to them. I feed all my fish pond pellets bought at the feed store. $17.95 for fifty pounds. I don't have any color issues with my fish.... LOL
Besides losing a little nutritional value, anything wrong with feeding fish 5 year old flakes or pellets... would you do it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts