Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon, with an eheim wet dry 2229. I'm looking to get a 2nd filter as many of you have recomended. My husband thinks the Fluval fx5 would be overkill and we dont need something that big.

What do you have on your tanks? What do you recomend?

·
Registered
482 Posts
what not go with the ehiem 2217 since you already have ehiem :thumb: never had one but everyone likes them..i have two XP3's and like them lots of room to put stuff

·
Registered
509 Posts
Fluval rates their filters w/o media. Once you load that big boy up with media you are probably down around 600gph or so based on real life tests I've seen online. (Their rated is about 925gph which is bogus).

I say you should get a FX5 honestly.

I think you'll find even if you run your 2229 and a second "smaller than an fx5" filter you are going to need a powerhead.

I run a Fluval 405, Eheim 2217, and I absolutely need my Koralia Evolution 750 to get enough flowrate in my 100g tank.

I have a canister outlet on each half of the tank and the koralia pointed down the whole length as well.

So for the price of an Eheim 2217 and a good powerhead (or two) you may as well get an FX5.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I love my 2217. If you do want a second smaller filter then I really recommend this filter. Just buy the large media bags since the filter doesn't have any compartments.

The 2217 is much quieter than my Fluval 405. In fact the only thing I hear on my tank is my Fluval 405 (and it isn't that loud just noticeable)

Maintenance on the 2217 is easier too (provided you use media bags). The inlet on the 2217 is at the bottom so that makes draining the filter during maintenance a very simple task.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would go with the Eheim 2217, or similar Eheim before moving onto the Fluval brand.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
MandyBlue said:
Thats what I ended up buying, the 2217. I have it on my 46 gallon tank now to cycle it.
Great buy you will not be disappointed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts