Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I purchased a 72 gallon bowfront aquarium that was previously used for saltwater. I am going to be using it for Malawi mbuna cichlids most likely P. saulosi and maybe one other species. It came with a wet/dry filter with bio balls. I have never used this type of filtration. I have only used Eheim canister filters or HOB filters in the past. The tank is drilled for the wet/dry so I guess I am going to have to use that. Is it okay to use this type of filtration for cichlids? Should I use any additional type of filtration or will the wet/dry alone be fine? If for some reason I decide not to use the wet/dry how do I seal the tank? I am currently giving the tank a good cleaning as it was not cleaned before I purchased it and has some dried salt. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes it is okay to use, IMO a wet/dry filter system is less maintenance. You can also add an auto top to the sump which makes things even better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
kwellens said:
Thanks. What is an auto top?
Using a wet/dry sump water you will lose water in the sump and not the display from evaporation. An auto top off automatically adds that evaporated water back when the level sensors call for it. All you need to do in keep water in the reservoir, which if it's big enough you might be able to make it over a week. Many companies make these but here is a plug and play setup, all you need is a pump. I use a $6 pump from harbor freight, you can even use a powerhead if you can get a hose on it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic- ... J-ATO.html

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
A sump with wet/dry alone works great for cichlids. I run several of those type systems. I'd explore that option fully before giving up on it and going with other filtration. If you can post some pics, we can help you with getting it going.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dragonetti said:
kwellens said:
Thanks. What is an auto top?
Using a wet/dry sump water you will lose water in the sump and not the display from evaporation. An auto top off automatically adds that evaporated water back when the level sensors call for it. All you need to do in keep water in the reservoir, which if it's big enough you might be able to make it over a week. Many companies make these but here is a plug and play setup, all you need is a pump. I use a $6 pump from harbor freight, you can even use a powerhead if you can get a hose on it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic- ... J-ATO.html
I have a hinged glass top on my sump tank, and I use very little to evaportation.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
My experience has been the same. Tightly seal the top like you would a tank and you should be able to get by until the next water change. But, I have seen some commercial sumps that were awfully small.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts