Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recognized the early signs of bloat and treated my whole tank with clout. I will do only one treatment and in two days will take the infected fish out of the tank and give a water change of 40-50%. I will not be keeping this fish, as it has been a problem for me in the past. My question is, since I treated early, and treated my whole tank early as well, once I take this guy out, do I need to worry about the rest of my fish since they all look healthy as they usually are.

Like to know what you think.

Thanks for any and all replies.. Appreciate them.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Bloat is contagious and will often affect only one fish at a time but can work it's way through an entire tank, progressively taking one healthy fish after another if there's no intervention. It's believed to be spread when healthy fish mouth infected feces but there may also be a free swimming stage to the flagellate that causes Bloat so fish may be at additional risk just being in a tank where there has been a bloat outbreak.
Bloat gets a hold on a fish when the fish is stressed. Stress can be anything from poor water conditions to the wrong diet to aggressive tankmates.

So in answer to your question: are your remaining fish at risk?--if the stressor that caused this first fish to get bloat continues then yes, they are at risk. And just being exposed to the outbreak puts them at higher risk.

The Clout should help reduce the risk. Additionally I would do daily or every other day partial water changes of 40% for the next week or so and give the gravel a good siphoning, too. Watch your fish closely for symptoms. Every fish should be eating at every feeding--and swimming normally around the tank.

Robin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Robin for your reply, I have since done a subsequent treatment, and I have realized what I have done wrong. I waited a week too long to do a water change and when I did, I did a 50 % water change, which I believe changed the parameters of the water too much, as well as it being a week overdue in the water change, it was also a bit higher in nitrates. These moreii's are very tempermental, and do not accept even a slightly poor water conditions, or drastic changes.

I have learned my lesson, really do not know what I am going to do when I go away for 3 weeks in July, I have an automatic fish feeder, but I like to soak my food for them, and I will not be able to do a water change for the whole time period.

Robin, what should I do?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
In the weeks leading up to your absence I would do twice weekly partial water changes of 40% using a good quality dechlorinator and really give the gravel a good siphoning. If you've got gravel that is deeper than 3 inches perhaps remove some of it. A few days before you go rinse off the filter media in a bucket of tank water to remove any waste build-up. The idea is to go into the three weeks with super perfect water conditions.
On feeding. Well there's no way you'll be able to soak their pellets, (I assume it's pellets you're soaking). I think I would set the automatic feeder to feed on the light side while you're away. And if you have concerns about one or two fish gobbling most of it or too much of it try placing a large floating fake plant right near the feeder. The food will disperse into the branches and make it harder for them to get at. It may also give it a chance to soften up while they are looking for it. There's a brand of fake plants called Fancy Plants that work really well for this.

Going three weeks without a water change is not ideal but if you start out with really good water conditions and don't over-feed they should be okay. :)

Robin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts