Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I've noticed something really strange in my 75gallons, it has been running for a year now... my water parmeters are good, tested them no amonia no nitrite and between 0-5ppm nitrates, temp is 80. My water is hard, didnt test it though, and my PH is hardblock at 8...
One of my C. moorii is covered of weird looking white spots. He is the only one affected. I did a 20%water change right away, I make my water change every weeks or 2 weeks and vacuum the gravel. He is 2inches long, still a juvie one of the smallest in the tank... feed them with peas, spirulina based tablets and a snack of baby brine shrimp once or twice a week. It doesnt look like ich the spots are a little too large... The only thing I can see that could have caused that, is the addition of 5 synodonthis last week. But the synos looks healty, they dont show any signs of diseases so :-?
there is some pictures if someone can help me, thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Looks like it could be ich. Is the fish scaping the obects in the tank.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
From the pictures that looks more like some kind of fungus/bacteria-but it's very hard to tell. Ich spots can look larger than grains of salt if they clump up together. Do these spots look more like they are on the skin or in it?

Even though your water parameters sound good I would do a partial water change of 40% and siphon the gravel. Then please post back with more information.

Robin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he doesnt scratch on rocks or decoration, I didnt saw him flashing, scratching. The spots looks like they have infiltred the mucus coating... Some scales looks lifted up, but seems to be covered with is protective coating. He is acting normally, eating, breathing, swimming around like usual.. just the white spots on him that is pretty unusual, I did an other water change today, to help him... I hope! And worked up my temp to 82 in case I have to treat ich. I've noticed some tinywhite spots on an other fish today so I added one tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons to start with... I know salt helps in most cases, and is totaly natural. I will work my way up progressively, if I have to treat, but im still not sure so...

he have a little more spots on his fins now...

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hold off on upping the temp until you're certain it's ich. If it's a bacterial infection then the heat may make it worse, not better.
But you can move ahead with the salt. Work it up to 2-3 tablespoons per five gallons. Salt, (sodium chloride) works on ich but it also may help curb the spread of bacteria by preventing the bacteria from adherring to the fish's skin. It doesn't kill the bacteria, just makes it harder for it to spread.

Robin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot, ill keep in touch if there is anything new, I will do the salt treatment for 10 days, and see what happens, I will bring my temp progressively down too, since I dont really know what im dealing with now, Ill observe and be patient thanks :wink:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so there is some updates, day 4 in the salt treatment, I worked my way progressively to 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. One of my other fish as tiny white spots on him since day 2 but it is nothing compared to the little guy that was first sick... there is still no improvement

some pic of him yesterday

today

The other one

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so I am pretty sure it is ich now... the spots on the second fish really looks like ich and it is worst than yesterday, I do have a medication that is said to be safe with scaleless fish, should I just continue the salt treatment... Or could I use the medication with the salt treatment? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts