Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were spending our usual Friday after work hour gazing at out tank when we noticed something strange about our Sunshine Peacock. He had a weird jaw line, as if he had eaten a disc sideways and it was stuck under his jaw. We are now in a tizzy wondering if this poor guy has a genetic malfunction or if our sunshine is in fact a girl. Ruh roh.

We have a 75 gallon tank containing the following:

Peacocks: Red, Sunshine, Maylandi, Red Empress, Red Shoulder Albino
Haps: Moori, compressiceps (Malawi), Azerus, Lake Victoria Hap

2 frontosas

All of these 'guys' are 3" or under, a few are juveniles.

The Red has been especially rude to the albino red shoulder lately. We've also noticed the sunshine hasn't shown any colors (we were hoping for a late bloomer) and hasn't been eating much.

And, as a sidenote, we are acquiring a 125 for our frontosas in 2 months.

Are we going to be parents of half-breed cichlids soon? What should we do? HELP!

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
If she is holding eggs, you are. You could strip her into the tank so the adults can eat the eggs. And then return her to the LFS.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Is the fish colored? Have you confirmed she is holding eggs?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S/he is not colored apart from a yellow tinge along her dorsal fin. S/he has taken to hiding under a large log in the tank. And we are not 100% sure she is holding, either. We are pretty new to this, learning as we go along.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Well my advice was based on two assumptions. I assume you want to keep an all-male tank and keep her healthy...even if it is not in your tank. And I assume you dont want to raise 35 fry and devote a couple 55G tanks to them for the next 8 years without option for selling, giving away or stocking those two tanks with any other fish.

That's the hybrid dilemma. :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, and I appreciate your honesty. Our plan is to keep her in the big tank until the babies are spit and see how they fare. I'm guessing many will be eaten by the other fish. She'll be going back to our LFS as soon as this happens. Any idea what kind of survival rate we should expect? We have 10 males and one female in the tank, 75 gallons. This is both fascinating and heartbreaking to watch!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd expect that all of them will most likely get eaten. Our yellow labs are prolific breeders and females have spit fry at least a dozen times in the tank. Yet only one fry has made it out of all the batches. The tank mates are mostly haps and peacocks and we have a lot of lace rock in the tank. This is just our experience with fry though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts