Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I've had a series of fish die from a weird disease that experienced fish keepers that i asked had different ideas about it. Here's what was suggested:
Nitrates (the most commonly suggested)
Lack of oxygen
Temperature too high
Improper water conditions for different species

How come then my three humpheads are getting affected by this 'disease' when i have
Normal nitrates
Plenty of oxygen
Temperature is a stable 26 degrees
The right water conditions for steatocranus casuarius

Iv'e got algae (yellow, black and green) at the top part of my tank
My dad used roof and gutter silicon to fix the polystyrene rock background to the back of the tank, but when it didn't stick, we took the background off and then took off all the silicon then used some proper fish tank silicon to stick it back on. Would the water be contaminated if only a bit of the roof and gutter silicone was left on?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I did have fish die from unsafe silicone. But when I removed and reinstalled, I got all of it off and did not have a problem. FWIW.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would think, when one considers its use in wet and soggy (leaf buildup, etc.) conditions, that a gutter sealant would incorporate a fungicide to prevent unsightly mold buildup at the sealed joints. We do know that fungicides are detremental to fish, so I am sure this is the source of your problem.

Good luck and hope you are able to work this out without too much loss. I hate loosing fish :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im going to introduce some convicts to the tank. The supposed to be easy to keep and I want see if they will get affected because then there's a problem with the tank. Would the silicone be able to contaminate 72L in a week if there was a thin smear and maybe a few dot's of it on the back of the background?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Can you describe the fish's symptoms and describe them in the order you observed them, (ie, day 1: stopped eating, day 2 became lethargic, etc)
Did all the fish have the exact same symptoms? How many fish died?
Was the tank recently set up?
Did you test for ammonia and nitrite?

Robin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i forgot to put that in...well, the first fish i had was an angel which my dad bought. Survived longer than my other fish. The first sympton was it stayed in a shallow part and just stared at its reflection (probably lonely). Then it started swimming around fast and the next day was just lying on the substrate but still breathing. It lasted like that for about two days before it stopped breathing.

I had put two bristlenoses in there with the angel and they only stayed fine for two days before they were lying upside down or on the side, i buried them because i thought they were dead. I introduced two more after that and in two days they were suffering the same things one of them was long gone but i noticed the other was still breathing. I put it in another tank and it's now doing great.

here comes the ram episode...next post...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My three rams were going nicely for about a week when they started to drift in the current until they stopped swimming and just lay on the ground until they stopped breathing :(.
Rainbows in the same tank for the same time seemed to be hanging around at a top part and then suddenly died overnight. I found my two other inhabitants, bumblebee gobies lying on their sides but still breathing. I put them in another tank but one died and another was being bullied by my rainbow shark so i caught the shark in a net and trapped him there until i came back from going somewhere. When i returned the other bb goby was dead.

I got three humpheads and they were doing good until one started to drift in the current and then another followed. One has already died and the other is close to it. My last humphead i think is also starting to get affected as it's lying on it's side :( :(.

[[Robin
My Ammonia and Nitrates are normal.
The only fish that didn't eat were the angel, rams, rainbows and bb gobies. Tank has been set up for more than a month.

14 fish have passed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts