Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago i added 3 Blue Ahli's, 3 Fenastratus' and 3 Johanni's to my already setup cichlid tank with a few other species.

When they got home they all looked pretty stressed and a bit under nourished,but after a week all looked fine except the blue ahli's, they just looked under the weather,not nearly as good looking as the fish i've seen in pictures.

The one ahli looked as if it was flaking and could only stay up-side down,was quarenteened and died the next day.

3 weeks later the next ahli got that flakey look and just stayed upside down and eventually died.
Also just lost a Fenastratus that spent the day spiralling and also ended up dying.

The last ahli doesn't look 100% either but all the other fish look good.

I think the flaking is from the other fish biting them but why can't they turn the right way round and are staying upside down and why did the fenstratus just spiral.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
How long has the tank been set up?

What are the water parameters on the tank?

Are the white flaky areas cottony or fuzzy in appearance?

Do you notice the fish twitching? Flashing against objects in the tank?

Once they reach the stage where they are upside down and cannot get upright again, they are usually very sick. Are you noticing any symptoms at all before they reach this stage? Do you watch them all when you feed them? Is everyone eating?

Any fin deterioration?

Kim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has been set up for about 8 months as a cichlid tank, was a tropical community before that.

haven't ever checked water parameters on my tank.

I'm not a fan of putting chemicals in my water.(i know tap water has chlorine etc) Whenever i do a water change,since i've had fish, i've never put anything in for the chlorine and the fish have generally been fine after the water change.

The white flaky areas looked kind of cottony.

No twitching from the sick ones. the only fish that twitches now and then if my pseudo who looks really healthy.

Before they reach this stage the sick ones look sickly,lack of full colour,hoping for them to improve but wouldn't be shocked if they died. i would say with some definate fin deterioration.

they all seem to be eating, i feed from 2 spots so everyone should be able to get some food.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, it's hard to know where to start if you don't check your water and you don't add dechlorinator.

You don't say what your normal tank maintenance routine is regarding water changes, and normally this would be important to know. However, with chlorine in the water and no dechlorinator being used, the water changes may do more damage than good.

It sounds like you need to make some changes to how you do things, and it might even be necessary to medicate the tank, but first, you're going to need to know the water parameters and may need to do a "clean up" on the tank before adding meds.

It sounds as if you could be dealing with a bacterial infection.

Kim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts