Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm midway through the second week after stocking my 55g 48" wide tank.

4 rusties
5 yellow labs
5 cobalt blue
2 Demasoni

On day two I found a dead rusty, and lost a demasoni (no carcass just can't find him, so I've pronounced him dead).

I have been testing the water every other day and the water seems fine, all levels are good. I plan on a weekly 30% water change as its quite easy nowadays with the python.
But I have some questions:

-How often should I test the water? All levels have been fine.
-The digging has begun...Should I fill in the holes they make in the sand?
-Is there anything else I should be concerned about in the early stages?
-And how do you upload a video?

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
ironspider said:
-And how do you upload a video?
You can upload pics here to the site ... but not videos - you have to host them on a 3rd party site (YouTube etc.)

This is probably due to the bandwidth burden it would impose on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ironspider said:

4 rusties
5 yellow labs
5 cobalt blue
2 Demasoni

On day two I found a dead rusty, and lost a demasoni (no carcass just can't find him, so I've pronounced him dead).

I have been testing the water every other day and the water seems fine, all levels are good. I plan on a weekly 30% water change as its quite easy nowadays with the python.

-How often should I test the water? All levels have been fine.Did you cycle your tank prior to adding fish? Even with quick start, I never recommend stocking without at least a 2 week cycle. Assuming a cycle was completed, test weekly. Watch for Ammonia spikes that might happen due to your fatalities and recent stocking, as well as Nitrites.
-The digging has begun...Should I fill in the holes they make in the sand?Mbuna dig, it is in their nature. They will establish territory early on, I change my rocks weekly so a true territory is never established. Even turning one rock and moving another makes a difference. It is an extra 2 minutes during my water changes and helps curb aggression to some extent.
-Is there anything else I should be concerned about in the early stages?Nitrite and Ammonia spikes. Monitor for overly dominant fish (Demasoni notorious). Ensure your water changes are regular. Ensure your filtration is up to par as well.
-And how do you upload a video?We sadly can't [/color]
Good luck!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
camelo_cichlids said:
ironspider said:

4 rusties
5 yellow labs
5 cobalt blue
2 Demasoni

-How often should I test the water? All levels have been fine.Did you cycle your tank prior to adding fish? Even with quick start, I never recommend stocking without at least a 2 week cycle. Assuming a cycle was completed, test weekly. Watch for Ammonia spikes that might happen due to your fatalities and recent stocking, as well as Nitrites.
-The digging has begun...Should I fill in the holes they make in the sand?Mbuna dig, it is in their nature. They will establish territory early on, I change my rocks weekly so a true territory is never established. Even turning one rock and moving another makes a difference. It is an extra 2 minutes during my water changes and helps curb aggression to some extent.
-Is there anything else I should be concerned about in the early stages?Nitrite and Ammonia spikes. Monitor for overly dominant fish (Demasoni notorious). Ensure your water changes are regular. Ensure your filtration is up to par as well.
-And how do you upload a video?We sadly can't [/color]
Good luck!
Thanks for the info. There was nothing quick about this cycle, took almost 3 months for me. I tested after the fatalities and still fine.
There doesn't seem to be a boss that I can see. I can't even see who is doing the digging as it's done when I'm at work or asleep. In fact, I woke up this morning to the hole dug down to the glass. But I don't see anyone claiming that spot. Should I fill it in or leave it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Leave the holes...they will just dig again.

From another post I believe your 2nd living demasoni has injuries? I would remove the demasoni entirely and add fish of the other species.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Leave the holes...they will just dig again.

From another post I believe your 2nd living demasoni has injuries? I would remove the demasoni entirely and add fish of the other species.
That was the one I was referring to, he wasn't looking good, but i can't find him nor did I see a corpse. Could he have been eaten by the community? Bones and all?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you removed the rocks to make sure it isn't hiding or the remains are sitting somewhere? I once thought I lost a fish in the same manor as you and a couple weeks later saw it alive, wedged behind some slate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
morrismorris said:
Have you removed the rocks to make sure it isn't hiding or the remains are sitting somewhere? I once thought I lost a fish in the same manor as you and a couple weeks later saw it alive, wedged behind some slate.
That would be quite the PIA to do. I never realized how difficult it is to change things around with water in there, can't really see what you are doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.