Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question in the Lake Tanganyika forum, but thought the more general audience might have observations about this behavior to share.

I have a couple of questions about something interesting I recently read about Masked Julie (Julidochromis transcriptus) breeding behavior. I summarize the main findings of the study here:

http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... ry-of.html

Essentially the study found that females prefer wedge-shaped crevices to lay eggs in because they can entice two males to simultaneously brood the eggs with her. A large male, who can enter the wide end of the wedge but cannot squeeze into the narrow end, and a small male, who hides in the narrow end, brooding eggs but out of reach of the big male.

My questions are:

1. Have any of you who keep these fish found this kind of behavior - or have you tried offering wedge-shaped shelters?

2. Are you aware of any other cichlids in which a female manages to simultaneously mate with two males?

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I've always used the wedge shape for Julies, but I've never seen a female take 2 mates... not surprised by that as I think I've seen just about everything else with cichlid mate selection, but not that trick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts