Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got these in two weeks ago.

Finally started taking flakes.















Let me know what you guys think! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,841 Posts
How many did you get and what size tank are they in? Just curious on your experiences as my f1s are pretty aggressive for their size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ eez, thank you Sir! But they will not stay together for long. I'm moving the petros to my petro thank soon.

@FG, I have 16. I actually don't think these fish are that aggressive compared to other petros I have kept. But they may need to settle in more and breed before true aggression is seen.

@ NS, thank for the compliment. How many did you have in your group?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Nice score Thai....
I got my group from Old World Exotic early last year (5/5)....
I have them in a 125 gallon (6 footer) along with Red Fin Famula Bangwe (3 trios).
They are least aggressive petros that I have .... and believe me I have a lot of petros.
The alpha male is 6.5 inches ... they rest of the group is in the 5 - 6 inch range.
Once again good score ...
breed like rabbits .....
I get anywhere from 20 to 50 babies from the different females.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,841 Posts
Guys, thanks for the input. As I've not had any other Petos, I'm just learning their personalities. And, I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew for a 5 ft 120 :oops: Time will tell. I thought about selling them, but I remember why I wanted them when I see beautiful pics like Thai's! Keep the pics coming, please! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
myjohnson said:
@ eez, thank you Sir! But they will not stay together for long. I'm moving the petros to my petro thank soon.

@FG, I have 16. I actually don't think these fish are that aggressive compared to other petros I have kept. But they may need to settle in more and breed before true aggression is seen.

@ NS, thank for the compliment. How many did you have in your group?
I had 6. They were very eventually separated into 6 tanks. The dominant fish was relentless. The group was not big enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frschul said:
Nice score Thai....
I got my group from Old World Exotic early last year (5/5)....
I have them in a 125 gallon (6 footer) along with Red Fin Famula Bangwe (3 trios).
They are least aggressive petros that I have .... and believe me I have a lot of petros.
The alpha male is 6.5 inches ... they rest of the group is in the 5 - 6 inch range.
Once again good score ...
breed like rabbits .....
I get anywhere from 20 to 50 babies from the different females.
'

Thanks Frank!

I been waiting a while for these. I too see that they are not nearly as aggressive as some of the big boys I got. I plan on moving them into the main petro tank soon so that should help.

Even in the current tank with just 16 petro ikola and 25-30 tropheus polli I see very little aggression...then again there is no breeding yet. :wink:

I'm moving some of my petro chimbas to make room for these guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Floridagirl said:
Guys, thanks for the input. As I've not had any other Petos, I'm just learning their personalities. And, I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew for a 5 ft 120 :oops: Time will tell. I thought about selling them, but I remember why I wanted them when I see beautiful pics like Thai's! Keep the pics coming, please! :thumb:
These are the smaller type petros. It's very doable in a 5' 120g if your numbers are right.

Also, I have notice less aggression in f1 petros.

I will try to keep this thread updated with pictures when I feel like taking them. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NorthShore said:
I had 6. They were very eventually separated into 6 tanks. The dominant fish was relentless. The group was not big enough.
yeah, I think having just 6 has a lot to do with it.

Just 6 tropheus in a group is bad. I can only imagine what a group of 6 petros will do to each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
I'm with northshore - the meanest petros I ever kept along with some red fin ubwari. I had a group of 8 of the ikola , mature WC adults in with 12+ other petros and like northshore, the aggression was relentless. Too bad because the coloring and markings on those ikolas is outstanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
areuben said:
I'm with northshore - the meanest petros I ever kept along with some red fin ubwari. I had a group of 8 of the ikola , mature WC adults in with 12+ other petros and like northshore, the aggression was relentless. Too bad because the coloring and markings on those ikolas is outstanding.
What size tank did you have them in?

Again, I really do see an issue with aggression.

They have started breeding and I recently added another 5 of them.

Very little aggression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Floridagirl said:
Thai...any pics of the main Petro tank yet? :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
Not yet. :(

Been lazy with the camera but for you I will try to take some and post up.

I'm aiming for next weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,841 Posts
myjohnson said:
Floridagirl said:
Thai...any pics of the main Petro tank yet? :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
Not yet. :(

Been lazy with the camera but for you I will try to take some and post up.

I'm aiming for next weekend.
Can't wait. I'm going to get some updated pictures of my tank...but not all of us can take pics like Razzo....sigh....I need a new camera!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
myjohnson said:
Floridagirl said:
Thai...any pics of the main Petro tank yet? :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
Not yet. :(

Been lazy with the camera but for you I will try to take some and post up.

I'm aiming for next weekend.
Shoot, I've been trying to get this guy to post a FTS of that beast since he set it up. Too busy taking pics of his reef tanks these days :lol:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top