Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got my hands on some True Parrots and man am i impressed with these guys!!! :popcorn: Very promising already at such a young age. also got some wild caught peru chocolate cichlids. and a black arowana im housing him in a 75 hes only 5.7in measured him when he came in today. im going to keep him in there to watch his feeding habits and growth. He'll be moved to the 120 gallon with my oscars soon.
Heres some photos, just a few more to come once i feed the lil buggers. enjoy :popcorn:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres some more photos of these beauties! We also named our Black Arowana today 'Alepo'i (ah leh POE ee) its Hawaiian for Surf, or Wave Breaker. last time i was in Honolulu i saw a pond filled with koi and thats what the man feeding the monster sized goldfish called them.

Here are some shots of the grow outs.

and some of the other cichlids i haven't updated on lately.

this is the only surviving JD from my second BGJD x BGJD spawn hopefully he carries the BG in him/her so i can try to pair it up with my EBJD

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Forty seven, not including the two ponds outside that cichlids are kept in during the summer months. Tanks total 2857 gallons. The psittacum are in a 1200 gallon SA cichlid community tank along with five oscars, seven ports and a caquetaia spectabilis. Six wild uaru are coming in January and I've got 12 Geophagus Altifrons growing out in a 125. Those last 18 fish will round out the SA community.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well in Australia I'm sure you could construct some large ponds outside and have some central and south american cichlids imported down there, then distribute them a cross the continent and to madagascar.

wow that's alota tanks! :eek: I can't wait until I move down south on my future ranch! Going to have quite a few large ponds bulit in the backward hopefully there will be a river near by that I can connect the ponds to. I'd have to set up some speical fencing and mesh nets to keep my stock from getting out into the wild. What states do you think I could live in that would provide the ideal climates almost year round for central and south American cichlids? Also what size are your parrots in those photos? :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Nano Cichlids said:
Well in Australia I'm sure you could construct some large ponds outside and have some central and south american cichlids imported down there, then distribute them a cross the continent and to madagascar.
Madagascar hey? :-? Bloody long way from Oz mate. New Zealand's a lot closer.

We have some of the strictist import laws in the world. Most cichlid species are illegal to import into Australia and some are even illegal to own. It's going to be even worse soon, as our import laws are being reviewed, and soon many species will be illegal to import or own, and many of the legal imports will become uneconomical to import due to batch testing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doh. Man I need to go back to high school and retake world history. I thought new Zealand was Madagascar :roll:

And wow I'm assuming it's because of the fact that Australia's climate is almost perfect for central and south American cichlids to thrive? Wow I'm sorry about that mate.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Beauties!

How's your water in therms of pH and hardness? I'm thinking of doing a Rapps order for parrots...

Thanks!

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.