Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke out the camera again after a few months of not photographing my tanks. There's been a battery consumption issue with my Sony DSC-H2 that's encouraged me to stick to my cell phone camera- which I don't get good results with for fish. Anyway- I scrounged around the bottom of my desk drawers pulling all the AA batteries I could find, popping them into the camera one at a time until I had a pair with enough charge to snap a few photos. It probably would have been more efficient to grab the voltmeter, but I got there anyway. This effort was only achieved because of one lovely development in my fish room...

My WC Kasanga Eretmodus cyanostictus successfully produced viable fry!

I was excited when they spawned, but was hesitant to get my hopes up. Mom and Dad had been skittish and subdued after their long journey, and never got the attitude I have come to expect from my gobies. They were in my tanks for only 1 month, and I was truly surprised to see Mom holding because I hadn't seen any courtship behavior.

I netted Dad at 20 days, and the fry still had a tiny egg sac. He wasn't happy about the net, even though I was able to gently dump him from his cave. I'm really glad I had the net over the bucket I intended to strip him into, because he spit the fry in the process. Sadly, he bit two of the fry, leaving me only 8 healthy fry. They are much smaller than my last several batches of goby babies- I wonder if fry size usually increases with tank raised versus WC parents?

I have the fry in a 5 gallon tank right now, feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and golden pearl. When I see them actively feeding (expected in a few days) I'll start adding some crushed NLS Grow.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Oh so cute. :dancing:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats on the fry :fish: I laughed when I saw the thermometer in the middle of the front glass. That's where mine are now because I don't trust heaters anymore.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shellies215 said:
Congrats on the fry :fish: I laughed when I saw the thermometer in the middle of the front glass. That's where mine are now because I don't trust heaters anymore.
You'll have noticed the new Fluval heater in the background too then.... :lol:

This is actually a Q-tank; I recently elevated the temperature for and so was keeping a close eye on things.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fogelhund said:
How do you know the fry are viable? :wink:
:lol:
You had me there for a second thinking I goofed.

Is there a use of the word that is limited to their ability to produce young? At this stage, viable fry indicates the they are fit to live outside of their parent. The fry that were bitten were not viable.

As Merriam Webster puts it:
Definition of VIABLE

1: capable of living; especially : having attained such form and development as to be normally capable of surviving outside the mother's womb (a viable fetus)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Typically viable fry do mean fry that can reproduce, but there is the double meaning you mention... I was just playing the double meaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts