Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have striped some females before but my finger nail just does not seem to cut it and a tooth pick the same. i have heard of the turkey baster method but i dont know how to do it??? and any others ways to stripe would be nice. i have 3 females that i am going to stripe soon. and if you have pics of it that would help me allot to thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Did you watch the video?

Turkey baster works on small females only...like young Demasoni. You don't want Mom to get stuck.

Remove the bulb, fill with tank water, add Mom facing the squirting end, and replace the bulb. Aiming at the fry tank, gently squeeze the bulb to make the water squirt out. After 2-3 squeezes, fry should flow out with the water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Take a funnel and place your female face down in the funnel and pour water into the funnel held above a catch container. It may take a few pours but you'll soon see the fry/eggs come out into the container below the funnel.

You can also just lower and raise the funnel in and out of the water to fill it and empty the funnel.

Works like a charm and seems to be the easiest and cause the least harm to the fish other than letter her spit on her own.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a small syringe that I use. Sometimes you can get these from a local vet. They have a pointed tip on it. Works great. Fill it with tank water, stick the tip in moms mouth, squeeze. This works much better for me than the turkey baster because of the smaller tip.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i use a paper clip unfolded and at the end i make a "hook" i or like a check mark and i use the V shape bend to pry the mouth open

·
Registered
495 Posts
i use a small baster i got in a test kit.. the end fits in the smallest of females mouths and still works on full growns.. My experienced mothers seem to know what it is, and open their mouths for the baster when im ready!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts