Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me if I sound stupid but quite a few tanks that I have seen on the forum have kind of a wavy substrate layer.

How do I get that effect? Do I put something under the substrate?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks krfhsf but if you have a look at the Tank pictures under Your tanks the tank floors look as if they have an uneven base... like there is something under the snd/gravel at certain places that has slightly lifted it up at places.[/img]

I want to know how can I do that?

G

·
gravel vaccuming does that with gravel.. and my botias make huge hills in the sand of my one tank so much so i think im getting rid of them... they dig under everything

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks m1ke715m for the reply but the fish digging will change the upper level of the sand not the bottom. I am referring to the bottom level.

May be I am not being able to convey what I am referring to. Please look at the tank pictures under the Your Tanks link and see the tank bottoms... their underside is in the form of waves.

G

·
my botias dig basically all the way down to the glass in some spots... here look.

im not exactly sure what you the bottom level... if you take sand or gravel from one spot and put it on the other if you go down far enough then you have waves

some people might have eggcrate under the sand too as it lessens the chance of falling rocks breaking the glass

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I am not being able to convey properly what i am asking. Apologies for that.

I mean there seems to be a distance between the tank bottom and the sand at some places only. At some places the sand seems to be on the tank bottom but at others it looks as if it is on some kind of a carpet that has some curls and lifted-off the floor at a few places thereby creating a wavy effect at the bottom.

G

·
which tank in particular? cuz i dont see what you are describing.. i understand what your saying.. jus dont see it...it might just be some shadows caused from the flash

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have tried to highlight the areas that i am referring to in RED.

·
Registered
162 Posts
m1ke715m said:
probly just shadows unless he put a rock under... but i think its just shadows
Yes those are just shadows from the lights thru the substrate. If you simply make your substrate deeper in places along your front glass you should get that same look. :thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, just make the substrate deeper in some areas to get that effect. When I first put my sand in, it was fairly uniform in coverage.. but when I put turned my UGJ's on, the sand ended up getting blown around and created little hills here and there.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Light only penetrates the substrate so far. If the sand is higher in one place, the bottom 'wave' will match it b/c its just light penetration. Notice how the waves you were describing follow the curve of the sand exactly...?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help friends. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you get mbuna, they will do that for you! :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL yu are right DrgRcr.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
464 Posts
All done by Circulation Pumps in my tank

·
Registered