Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i want to know where should a wavemaker be kept ideally for debris clearence mainly…
I have kept mine opposite side my overflow pipe and angled upwards…is this the correct way or should i keep it on the same side of the overflow pipe at the arojnd midway up and angled towards the substrate?? Please guide me
Im asking about debris clearence mainly as i have enough amount of water turbulence for air exchange down the overflow outlet and i also have an airpump too…i just to make sure all those suspended particles reach its way to the filter
Theres a lot of dust particles floating at the top of my tank and my overflow does take water from the surface too…but i want to know which is the best placement which helps the water with the dust on top to be sucked in directly from the top all the way
View attachment 143832
Water Vertebrate Pet supply Fish supply Display case

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 2 HOBs and have the same problem. But I only use the wave maker temporarily after water changes to stir up debris. Then I remove it.
I move it from one side to the other for several hours each time. I place it about 1/2 way up angled to the substrate.
It does work okay. But my issue is most of the debris has settled before I turn the filters back on.
But I am working on a better idea to do this. Pool pump with filter. 1000 GPH. I need to lengthen the hoses (1.25 diameter) and test it first. I will be able to run this the whole time during the water change and maintenance. I also don't know if the removable filter canister is safe for the fish yet?
I expect this to work well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 HOBs and have the same problem. But I only use the wave maker temporarily after water changes to stir up debris. Then I remove it.
I move it from one side to the other for several hours each time. I place it about 1/2 way up angled to the substrate.
It does work okay. But my issue is most of the debris has settled before I turn the filters back on.
But I am working on a better idea to do this. Pool pump with filter. 1000 GPH. I need to lengthen the hoses (1.25 diameter) and test it first. I will be able to run this the whole time during the water change and maintenance. I also don't know if the removable filter canister is safe for the fish yet?
I expect this to work well.
Hmm…i see…
The physics in this is water infront of the wavemaker is pushed away while the water above and below and surrounding it on all sides except the front is pulled in…
I did notice that the supended dust which eventually settled at the top of the surface when left undisturbed and can be sucked into the filter intake in a steady state of flow…
But since the wavemaker is causing turbulence at the surface it is actually causing the settled dust at the surface of the water to mix into the water column again before it gets a chance to reach the filter intake which i feel is why the effectiveness is reduced…

i did try now by angling the wavemaker to the substrate and did notice the particles slowly moving along or near the surfcae moving towards the side of the wavemaker…if thats the case then keeping it angled to the substrate at the opposite side which is at the side of the intake itself will cause the particles to steadily move along the surface or near the surface and gets sucked into the intakes instead of geting mixed into the water coloumn again…i have try it…but for that i need to increase the length of the cord which is too short to place it at the opposite side nw😐
I will do an update tmrw regarding that
But at the same time would also like to know if it would work or if there is another placement which is the most effective?

·
Registered
71 Posts
How I solved that problem in my tank was one up top pointing upward to break the surface. My outflow on my filter is at the same end as it, and pointing the same direction to create even better flow. I put another wavemaker on the opposite end about 3-4" off the bottom horizontal to the substrate. If it's moving substrate, raise it up a little so it will only move debris. It makes the water circle in the tank toward my filter uptake. I haven't had to vacuum my sand substrate the entire 8 months I've had it this way. My mbunas work the sand too which stirs up anything it misses.

One thing to note is that my rockwork is setup for maximum water flow so the wavemakers work best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How I solved that problem in my tank was one up top pointing upward to break the surface. My outflow on my filter is at the same end as it, and pointing the same direction to create even better flow. I put another wavemaker on the opposite end about 3-4" off the bottom horizontal to the substrate. If it's moving substrate, raise it up a little so it will only move debris. It makes the water circle in the tank toward my filter uptake. I haven't had to vacuum my sand substrate the entire 8 months I've had it this way. My mbunas work the sand too which stirs up anything it misses.

One thing to note is that my rockwork is setup for maximum water flow so the wavemakers work best.
Seems great…wot did u actually mean by making rockwork for better flow???can u explain?
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant by the rockwork design was building it where water can flow behind and in front of it. Tunnels that go with the flow instead of blocking it...
Got it…i just didnt want to have anther visible equipment in there😅…having a second one along the substrate seems like a sureshot idea…i have tried it with keeping my existing one like that and i have noticed significantly far agression in my fishes 🤔 strange…but mayb coz that was a very powerful double head wavemaker too…anyways…i just tried another thing…i just tied my old wavemaker which had a small problem of a little shaking while working but i found a use for it…i tied it to an extendable stick of a broomstick and i used it to blast every nook and corners of my tank…while the water change pump was pumping water out of the tank…this worked pretty well for me…i was able to get my whole substrate clean…just using its high flow worked very well to bring up the settled debris into the water collumn whiler the water cheange pump was able to take them out…😁😁😁…Happy so far😇

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got it…i just didnt want to have anther visible equipment in there😅…having a second one along the substrate seems like a sureshot idea…i have tried it with keeping my existing one like that and i have noticed significantly far agression in my fishes 🤔 strange…but mayb coz that was a very powerful double head wavemaker too…anyways…i just tried another thing…i just tied my old wavemaker which had a small problem of a little shaking while working but i found a use for it…i tied it to an extendable stick of a broomstick and i used it to blast every nook and corners of my tank…while the water change pump was pumping water out of the tank…this worked pretty well for me…i was able to get my whole substrate clean…just using its high flow worked very well to bring up the settled debris into the water collumn whiler the water cheange pump was able to take them out…😁😁😁…Happy so far😇
I do that too. Works great! Use the wavemaker to blast out poop from substrate while draining out water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts