Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Pls I am finishing the fishless cycle on my 1100L malawi tank and just realized one possible problem with my setup. I have a system installed, which automatically refills around 60-70l of fresh dechlorinated water every single day, pushing/replacing an old one through an overflow. The problem which I didn't realize when putting things together is, that the new water is not heated. It is the cold supply only. It has some 10°C. It refills slowly, I can adjust it to flow that small 60l volume in 1 hour lets say, but there are two concerns running in my mind.

First is the spot where it enters the tank- it's close to one of the main filter outputs, so it dissolves in aquarium, but it certainly causes local temp. oscilation.

Another one is the general temperature change, which is somewhere around 0,5 °C drop per cycle. It gets back to stable numbers in another hour or so.

Should I be worried about affects on fish and try to come up with some heater solution? Or are these temp. effects minor, is it ok to leave the system as it is? Thanks for any advice!

Best regards

Ivan

·
Registered
449 Posts
5 degrees is not much, but I would not want my fish having to deal with temperature fluctuations daily. I would add a storage container to the system and a second timer and valve. I would have the first timer/valve fill the container and allow the water to sit 23 hours to come to room temperature before the second timer/valve adds it to the tank. The first timer could be set to refill an hour later after the container has emptied.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You very much for the reply! I was thinking about this as well, however there is no more space for a container of that size :/ However, I do have two hydor 300w inline heaters around... I am just not sure if they would withstand the shock of a 10°C water going through them... Maybe I should look for a regular bathroom inline heater, mount it on the wall and let it do the job...?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Try changing less water daily and continuously throughout the day, like a drip, so there is no fluctuation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is actualy not a Bad idea at all. If I put lets say 20-30l at a time each 8hrs, water temp will most probably not even change by more than 0.1-0.2 °C. I will give it a try before I come up with something too complicated.

Thank You for the advice!:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
DJRansome said:
Try changing less water daily and continuously throughout the day, like a drip, so there is no fluctuation.
Even better...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is that I don't trust the drip system that much. I mean, when I refill the new water faster, within minutes, there is much less of a dilluted water effect, thus pushing away much more of the old water, rather than just mixing it with the old one as with the regular continuous drip system that flows like milliliters per minute.

For this reason,I am still considering some other way of neutralizing the temperature oacillation during faster water filling. I am still hasitating a little bit on what to do...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts