Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water supply is treated with chemically created ammonia. It is bacteria resistant. I have been told that it will break down in about 6 weeks. I am concerned about water changes being an issue and wanted to see if anyone knows of a chemical treatment to remove this. I was told I could fill the tank with Poland Spring water (bottled), but it is a 65 gal tank so that isn't realistic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
mebrill said:
My water supply is treated with chemically created ammonia. It is bacteria resistant. I have been told that it will break down in about 6 weeks. I am concerned about water changes being an issue and wanted to see if anyone knows of a chemical treatment to remove this. I was told I could fill the tank with Poland Spring water (bottled), but it is a 65 gal tank so that isn't realistic.
http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

http://www.seachem.com/safe.php

I use Safe; it is highly concentrated and lasts a long time. Neither will remove ammonia, but they will detoxify it. Your water will still test positive for ammonia until your bacteria convert it to nitrite/nitrate. My tap water tests at 1-2ppm ammonia and I have no issues there; my tap water has very high chloramine and I have to use a double dose of Safe to remove it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
A quick search of the Boston area water authority shows that they use a combination of methods to treat the water including ozone, U.V. and mono-chloramine, the latter which is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. I will assume this is the chemically created ammonia you are referring to, correct?

What you will need to use is a water conditioner that is labeled for use with chloramine treated tap water such as Seachem Prime (liquid) or Safe (powder) or another brand to treat the water you want to use to both fill your aquarium initially AND for all water that you add to the aquarium. Many people have the same issue with chloramine treated tap water and aquarium companies have created these type of products so that you can safely use such treated water in aquariums.

No need to use bottled water for the aquarium for a few reasons. One, it can become expensive and you have to transport it and two, it doesn't provide the minerals your fish need.

I hope this answered your questions but if not, post any more you may have. BTW, Welcome to C-F!!!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top