Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find fish to occupy my 75 gallon tank. I've started by searching the profiles in the "library" My first question is, is there any "give" on the water hardness? The fish I like require neutral water or soft water....can they be mixed? And when searching by pH requirements, how much leway do I have? If the fish says 7.2 for required pH, can I go 7.3 or 7.1? And lastly (for now) can I mix fish from different regions?
Thank you!
Sorry for all the questions. I've gotten such mixed info on this by researching the net.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Knowing the species you have in mind would help, but generally there are ranges of pH and hardness values that are fine for many species, particularly when it comes to pH.

I think the concern with mixing is going to be more of an aggression and temperament thing rather than water parameters.

Yes, mixing from different regions has been done.

Any fish info out there that indicates a required pH as precise as 7.2 isn't credible. There may be a fish out there, I suppose, that requies a pH that precise, but not anything hobbyists keep. Think in terms of a range like 6.8 - 7.8, or 7.5 - 8.4 or below 6, etc.

A list of species you've been looking at would really help to give a better answer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am completely undecided on which fish. I already have a jewel, so I was working around his needs and wanted a general direction to head in. I like so many fish and I was looking into larger ones for a 75 gallon tank.
So, paying closer attention to aggressiveness is more important than water requirements? Picking fish is hard. I don't know how you all know so much. It's pretty confusing. :-?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
So, paying closer attention to aggressiveness is more important than water requirements?
They're both somwhat important, but I think I'd start with finding something compatible, then look to make sure it'll do ok in your tank water. What are the current parameters, pH and KH, both tap and tank?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, it seems like a lot of fish....I can't find the thread I read it on so I'm sorry for reposting. Here's the list....1 male each
mylochromis lateristriga
phenochilus tanzania
spilonotus likoma
protomelas spilonotu
nimbochromis venustus
maleri Island
ngara flametail
maulana bicolor
copadichromis borleyi
I may have misunderstood the post I read this on as I was in a hurry, so I just wanted to know. If I can put these fish together in my tank, I will be very excited!
Also....would a jewel fit anywhere into this mix?
Thank you!
:fish: :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :fish:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't even picked the tank up yet. I get it on Saturday. It's going to be a while before it's even ready for fish...I just like to be prepared.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok....I was confused. Thanks....I'm super new at this and have lots of questions....and like lots of answers. :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts