Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested my tap water and it is a pH of 8.0, kH of 14dkH, and a gH of approximately 12dgH (the API test for that didn't come with color, so I'm not sure if it's turned green enough, it goes from yellow (not really orange, as the instructions suggest) to green-ish yellow and proceeds to get slightly more green). Is that safe for Malawi's or should I alter in some way?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It's perfect. Best to use your source water as is, if you can. Keep it simple.

Check the age of your kits. My GH kit stopped turning the water a definite green when it got old.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Be very slow to go into trying to change your water. It often turns out to be more trouble than it is worth and in trying to get it right the water qualities bounce up and down. The fish can adapt to different water but not if it keeps changing. Much better to let them do the change and you set back with less work and worry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help. No fish in the cichlid tank yet, I am going slow to make sure all the chemistry is perfect so the fish can be happy.

About the API GH test bottle, I just bought it the other day. I can't get a definite green out of it. Should I try and just buy a new bottle? It's new to me, but who knows how long it was sitting in the LFS (not my normal one). Either way, I'll probably have a sample tested by the LFS this weekend (and hopefully be able to pick up the first fish).

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
There will be a lot number on the bottle with the date. They've changed the way they designate date over the years, but should be discernible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts