Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking for a sump pump and I've found heaps of brands sell a pond or water pump, and also sell a fountain pump, only the fountain is much cheaper. Both look identical on paper, apart from the fountain including an extra long attachment for (fountaining :-? )
Can I use a fountain pump to save $$ or is there something i'm missing?
Cheers,
Mcflyyy

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Some things to look for...

You will definitely want a "Magnetic Drive Pump"... this way if resistance slows down the impellor, the impellor simply slips at the magnetic connection and allows the motor to continue moving at it's desired rate. A straight drive pump experiencing the same resistance will slow the motor causing it to use more electricity as well as increase wear and tear on the pump. This then causes friction and in extreme cases could case fire.

Watch the ratings regarding head pressure. Some pumps can move large volumes of water within a system, but have little ability to lift. Such pumps are usually lower in price as well as electrical use, but will be rendered useless in conjunction with a sump.

I recently bought a couple SEN submersible inline pumps from Ken's Fish (www.kensfish.com). They were far less expensive than some of the more common brands and were also more efficient (regarding electrical use). I've only been running the pumps for a couple days but thus far I am impressed. I'll actually be ordering a couple more this week (first order was to test them out, this one is to stock up).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts