Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my tanke setup and it is running pretty smooth. Fish are happy , levels are good and my water is clear ( from the front ). When you look at it fron the side it still seems a little milky.

So here is what I am thinking. I have this filter that we had installed under our sink that is no longer being used. Similar to a whole house filter just a bit smaller. So I have been thinking and doing some reading here on the site and I have a few question.

First what I am thinking is taking the filter and running it inline on the output of my canister filter and using it to help polish the water a bit more.

Here are my questions. 1. Will this work to clear up the bit of milky look I have? 2. Should I run the filter on the output or the input side of the canister?

This is still just in the thinking stages so please any comments/suggestions are welcomed

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
First what I am thinking is taking the filter and running it inline on the output of my canister filter and using it to help polish the water a bit more.

I wouldn`t.
Will really mess with the flow rate of the canister.
If you want to use this filter, look for a pump to run it.
Other choices are ditch the use of the filter and look for a cheap/used Magnum 250, 350, or diatom filter.
The Mags will filter to the 10 micron range and the diatoms to the sub atomic. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KaiserSousay said:
I wouldn`t.
Will really mess with the flow rate of the canister.
Well Thanks for the reply. I wish I would have seen it sooner. Over the weekend I hooked it up to see what would happen.

Here is what I did. The filter is smaller version of a whole house filter that goes under the sink. I had not used it in some time and have never replaced the filter in it. After looking at it for a while and trying to figure out how to get media in there to polish the water and get a better flow this is what I did.

The in and out hole are about a 1/4" big which I know will not be good for flow with my cnaister so I opening up the holes to 3/4" with a drill bit. both the in and out holes got drilled as well as the opening on the under side.

I threaded in brass fitting on either end of the filter so no my openings will accect the hose from my filter and will be big enought to keep my flow.

As for the filter media what I did was I took the original filter that was in the unit and I poped off the bottom of it. I emptied it out ( lots of carbon and very little floss ). I rinsed it out really good and stuff the now empty filter with that pillow stuffing. I packed in as much as I could but not to tight. The bottm of the filter does not stay on by itself so I just drop the bottom in the filtter housing then the filter tube on top of it. The whloe thing gets pressed down when I screw on the top.

I have the filter hooked up inline with my output and it seems to flow pretty good. Just for extra peice of mind I rigged up my Penguin 1140 to my return line.

I dont have pictures but I am sure if anyone is really interested to see I can get some. So far my water is clear on all side and as for my levels well they are beautiful.

Nice thing about this setup is if I dont want the filter on. I just remove 2 hoses and it goes right back to my normal canister setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts