Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 55 gallon African cichlid tank. I cycled it with ammonia for 6 weeks. Once it was cycled I continued testing the water and adding ammonia daily for 5 days. It was processing 4ppm back to 0ppm ( ammonia and nitrites) every 12 hours. I then did a 90% water change, rechecked everything again( ammonia, nitrate, nitrite all 0ppm & ph 8.8).
I added 10 2.5" peacocks.
They have been doing great for 4 days. I decided to test the water today to see if I needed to do a water change. The nitrates look to be close to 0ppm it's a little darker but it's definitely not dark enough to be 5 ppm yet. So I tested the ammonia and nitrites and they both say 0.50ppm.
Have they just not been in there long enough to produce much waste yet or is something wrong?
And is 8.8ph Ok? That's just been the ph since the beginning with just regular sand and the rocks I have but I was told as long as it stayed at 8.8 constantly and didn't change they would be fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
Yes on the lack of a nitrate reading. But you should not have nitrites of 0.5ppm...they should be zero.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I go ahead and do a 50% water change tomorrow or wait until the nitrate reading is higher and make sure the nitrite and ammonia don't get higher in the meantime?

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
I would monitor nitrite and not allow it to get higher. Why do you have nitrite if the tank was cycled? Change 50% weekly even if toxins are low.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rechecked my water when I first woke up this morning and nitrites were 0ppm, ammonia was 0.25ppm and nitrates was the same( still not dark enough to be at 5ppm). I don't know what was wrong yesterday. The only thing I can think is I tested shortly after I fed them. In any case, I'm relieved. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts