Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just attached a bottle filter to my power head to polish my tank. It pushes a lot of water through the upper half of tank. This tank has small juvenile (Salousi/White Labs)in it. Plan to run it temporally to clear water a bit. Can the water movement stress the fish. I have rock formations so they can stay in them. They usually hang out in lower level and the power head is at top end of tank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Shoot for 10X gallons per hour or less.
My HOB filters alone do that. I added the power head with bottle attached filled with floss to try and polish my Water. I have cloudy water since adding new substrate and rocks couple wee ago. My water chemistry is 0,0, and 10-20 ppm nitrates.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
So maybe turn off one of the HOBs when you are polishing. I usually just take out the substrate and re-wash to get it over with. I've never had to polish.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after few hours the water much clearer. Putting sponge over outlet sounds like a good idea. I tested current in areas of tank with my hand and found water movement not that much away from the power head a short distance and seemingly not effecting fish at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts