Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just attached a bottle filter to my power head to polish my tank. It pushes a lot of water through the upper half of tank. This tank has small juvenile (Salousi/White Labs)in it. Plan to run it temporally to clear water a bit. Can the water movement stress the fish. I have rock formations so they can stay in them. They usually hang out in lower level and the power head is at top end of tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Shoot for 10X gallons per hour or less.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Shoot for 10X gallons per hour or less.
My HOB filters alone do that. I added the power head with bottle attached filled with floss to try and polish my Water. I have cloudy water since adding new substrate and rocks couple wee ago. My water chemistry is 0,0, and 10-20 ppm nitrates.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
So maybe turn off one of the HOBs when you are polishing. I usually just take out the substrate and re-wash to get it over with. I've never had to polish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can tie some filter foam (like aquaclear sponge) onto the output of your powerhead. It will completely diffuse the flow but you'll still get the polishing effects. Don't give young fish crazy flow they don't like it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after few hours the water much clearer. Putting sponge over outlet sounds like a good idea. I tested current in areas of tank with my hand and found water movement not that much away from the power head a short distance and seemingly not effecting fish at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts