Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Recently I have finished stocking my tank. It's overstocked currently with Juveniles. Last fish added in the previous 24hours. Last water change was 50% a week ago. Been holding off changing water this week as new fish was added and last was yesterday. Issue is the nitrate is rising and currently is at 20.0 ish........higher than I would be happy with even though I know they are ok up to 40.0 ish. Having spent a lot of money on fish in the last few weeks I don't want to lose any to water quality. Ammonia is zero and nitrites are zero. Should I do a partial water change tomorrow and the next day to get some of the nitrates out or leave it for a few more days and monitor the nitrates close. Don't want to stress the new fish with a 50% water change but don't want any to die from nitrates. Advice is appreciated

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My water levels are pretty similar. I'm in the uk and the water where I am is 8ph out of the tap. I don't use a python I gently pour in buckets so I know exactly what goes in. I keep it inside for two/three days also to get it warmer. I have always thought water changes for new fish until age last after a week was kinda a no go but if it's all
Good I'll do one. I must be wrong thinking water changes stresses new fish out. Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the two OB peacocks in within the last few days. Not sure how I can match water temp as it does go in cold. I will take your advice and split the changes over the next two days.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen the python water changers, they are more tricky to get in the UK but are on amazon. They are expensive like about £80. Am I right in thinking you declorinate the entire tank prior to re filling?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the python could be a good investment, I'll have a measure up. My kitchen doesn't have a mixer tap so taps are deprecate hot and cold so I don't imagine I can mix the hot water anyway...not until we do up the kitchen anyway.

I don't know how long my tank takes to get to 20ppm nitrates after a water change. Is it worth knowing? Sorry if that's a silly question. It's currently at about 5 and last change was a week ago. Holding off due to new fish this week.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for this advice! Some really helpful tips. I've not heard of an ammonia strip, it sounds very helpful. As I have been overly cautious lately as I have overstocked my tank ready for everyone to grow up and reject some from the groups I have I've been testing every day. I try not to over feed but they seem starving all the time. I reckon I feed them for about 20 seconds small punches each time that do t even hit the bottom 3 times a day. But I'm thinking now once in morning and once at night. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I ordered the seachem alert combo so thanks for the heads up! Seems like a very clever idea.....if it works ok. Thousands of reviews on Amazon says it does so I'm looking forward to getting mine in!
Also I have decided to split the 50% water change into three this week after what has been said about the temperature hit doing it all at once, first one done today so I'll do the other three over the week to Sunday. Much quicker for me!!! I watched the water temperature after I did the change and I saw no change in it from 80 at all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts