Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What size of tank are you looking to setup?

Aquaclears are cheap, but a lot more noise, and require 5" space from the wall.

Eheim canisters are more expensive, but ultra silent, and only requie about 1/2 to 1" of space from the wall.

You can equip the canisters with spray bar or nozzles and have them agitate the surface. In fact if you look at the drawings of the Canister installation, it shows to put the spray bar either above the water, or immediately below the surface.

Adding a powerhead or two also helps greatly.

The key thing for Tropheus is clean, highly oxygenated water. This means rigorous waterchange atelast every 2-weeks or less, and plenty of surface agitation for gas exchanges both toxic and benefit.

You might even consider a wet dry for use in this tank. Ultimately the best setup in my opinion with a pump and overflow rate of 5X aquarium volume.

Best of luck!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Some variants are more agressive than others. Which basically means you may have a little more agression issues, and/or need to buy larger groups of them to get started.

The ones you picked the Duboisi (Maswa, Halembe) are going to be more even-keeled overall than the others. As far as the sp.black (kiriza,pemba) vs sp.red (moliro, chimba, lupota), they are pretty much the same. I have had many Lupota's kill things, but I think its mainly because of that colony has (2) hyper-agressives. Hyperagressives can exist from time to time in any colony so be aware of that.

They all have the same diet, water conditions, and clean water requirements. Duboisi are more tolerant of a higher and different protein foods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.