Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank water has been cloudy for about 24hrs now from cichlid mix by caribsea it has gotten much better but still very cloudy. I did rinse it a little. everytime i move a rock or something there is a big cloud. i can hardley see the back of the tank. there is no fish in the tank right now.
should i just wait? filters on or off?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Filters on. Is this substrate supposed to have live bacteria in it? If yes, what instructions come with the substrate?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's just arogate substrate. It said rise until water changed from milky to cloudy both look the same to me but whatever who knows haha

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Sounds like you should have rinsed much longer. You can take it out and rinse now, or vacuum, filter and change water repeatedly until clear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*** started my fishless cycle now so ill have to wait until it settles i guess.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
If you leave all the dust in and let it settle, later when the fish dig it will just be stirred up again.

If your fishless cycle is just starting, I would clean the substrate first to save long-term headaches.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not that big of a deal once the fishless cycle is done ill have to do a very large water change anyways so ill get alot out with that, and i do weekly water changes so it will be all gone it will just take some time. thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and i havent let it settle really if after 48hrs its still really bad ill rethink. the bag say 1-2 days and i really disturbed it today when i added all the rock

·
Registered
162 Posts
One thing I have found that works really well for cleaning up cloudy water is using a sponge filter even if its just temporary. Stir the tank up real well to get all the small particles mixed up then use the sponge filter, rinse the sponge filter every day or so and mix your substrate up again. It should only take a couple days for your water to be crystal clear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the same thing when I setup my tank. No matter how much you rinse it prior to placing in tank, you will still get cloudy water. Not to worry. It will clear up with proper filtration. Just be patient. If it does not clear up in a few more days, you might up the filtration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks alot better today. See how it is in the morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.