Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this but the description said "water" so here's my question.

I'm having water clarity issues. I switched over to pool filter sand a few weeks ago and recently got a Rena xp3 to run along with my aqua clear 70. I do weekly 30%'s and my light is off most of the day. My tank deco consists of river rock type stone. I only have 4 fish in the tank. Since the switch the water was great.

Two weeks ago lightly stirred my sand while doing a water change go release any debris or gas pockets. Ever since my water will not clear up. Its hazy and turning green. Since this problem I have been doing a 20% every two days with no luck of the water clearing up. The other day I did 50% it helped but 2 days later its bad again. I even removed all the rocks and cleaned them. The fish seem to be acting fine. I changed media in both the filters as well. :-?

PH 7.8
GH 180 ppm (aprox)
KH 240 ppm (aprox)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (with all the water changes lately this is the first time I've been able to achieve absolute 0! :) I usually have small traces)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Switching substrate, cleaning everything, and changing all your media probably removed most of the bacteria frrom your setup. water that is a little cloudy won't hurt anything. With only 4 fish(I am assuming they are small fish) you shouldn't have much bio load. Keep testing water and don't mess with anything unless ammonia or nitrIte get above 1ppm, then do a small water change and detox with prime.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had the same problem for like a whole week, go to your LFS they should have some white cloth type material that you put around your carbon media... its like a white fluffy cloths cost around 8 bucks makes your water crystal clear, cleared mine up over night.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
purigen is for impurities, not for particulate matter - which is what this sounds like.

however, go ahead and get it, but also get the quilt batting/fluffy stuff and run that for a while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. In my xp3 I'm already using 20, 30ppi and their super micro filtration pads. Wouldn't that catch the smallest particulate?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If this is a 1-time thing, ie, historically you've not had particulate issues - I would use Seachem Clarity.

Just remember to change your filter shortly after using it - as it will get dirty/clogged REAL fast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some seachem clarity today. Used the recommended dosage. Waited two hours, water looked worse. I cleaned the filters out and hooked them back up, no luck yet. 4 hours later the water is still very cloudy. Hopefully tonight it clears up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A- 0
N- 0
Nitrate- a little over 80 wtf? :-?

Along with the seachem I purchased a box of fluval bio rings. Currently I only have the Rena (api) bio stars that came with the filter in there. There's only about 8-10 of them. Should I wait to add the fluval rings?

When I did the filters after adding the seachem, I washed out all the pads (they were filthy, especially the super micro filtration pad) and put a new carbon pouch in the rena.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I washed the sand extremely well. About 2hrs of washing little by little in a 5gallon bucket. The tank was perfect (my avatar picture) until I lightly stirred the sand while doing a water change. I used 3/4 of the previous water when I set the tank up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ok, then I go back to my original reply and say keep testing ammonia and nitrite, and stop messing with it, be patient, and it should fix itself. Water clarifiers don't fix problems, they mask them, or more often add to them. You shouldn't have to add anything to your water but dechlor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, would adding the bio rings for added biological filtration at this point help at all? Or wait until it clears up to add them?

Also, since I already added the seachem once should I re-clean the filter pads tonight or tomorrow morning since they will clog up quicker now?

No water change even with the nitrates being over 80?

I didn't misread you last post saying "stop messing with it" :lol: sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go get some algae killer and put the recommended dose in. Should solve your problem. When you stirred your substrate you released alot food for algae and that caused a bloom and thats why you have green water. The reason why it got worse after you used clarity is because there is alot of phosphate in those chemicals which algae also feed off of.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
jwsland said:
I got some seachem clarity today. Used the recommended dosage. Waited two hours, water looked worse. I cleaned the filters out and hooked them back up, no luck yet. 4 hours later the water is still very cloudy. Hopefully tonight it clears up.
Holy cow dude, wait 24 hours. It's not instant!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
shellies215 said:
Ok, then I go back to my original reply and say keep testing ammonia and nitrite, and stop messing with it, be patient, and it should fix itself. Water clarifiers don't fix problems, they mask them, or more often add to them. You shouldn't have to add anything to your water but dechlor.
They do if you caused a stir with your substrate causing the debris in the water. This just hurries the clarification process.

My water conditions are great, I have no cloudiness issues - UNLESS I start stirring things up like taking all the rocks out, etc. It takes a while for all that to settle, a few days even - and I have used Clarity now and again for a quick fix. It works just fine - it does what it says.

I never said do it just because it's cloudy - it doesn't fix what caused it. It just fixes the condition. If you have algae, you're going to have algae again.

Don't be so dismissive just because this particular user used the product (or had unrealistic expectations) wrong.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
jwsland said:
No water change even with the nitrates being over 80?
Over 80 won't hurt short term. However, you should do a 50% water change very soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glaneon said:
Holy cow dude, wait 24 hours. It's not instant!
Going by what you said I expected better results sooner.

Glaneon said:
Just remember to change your filter shortly after using it - as it will get dirty/clogged REAL fast.
Glaneon said:
Don't be so dismissive just because this particular user used the product (or had unrealistic expectations) wrong.
I used the recommend product as instructed by its directions. Not wrong imo. My expectations were developed by what you said about how soon I will need to clean my filters.

I'll try a 50% soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, you can do your water changes, and yes you can add your biomax, but keep your old bio. (you can add to it, don't replace it)

If you start from the beginning of this thread, It has been recommended that the OP buy water polishing pads, purigen, clarity, and algea killer.

The OP made a lot of changes (substrate, media, and cleaning) all at once. The water cloudiness could be particulate, bacteria bloom, or diatom/algae bloom. My suggestion was to test water and be patient because 95% of the time, the tank will reach a natural balance on it's own.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts