Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently acquired a 75g tank and am 3 days into a fishless cycle. I know I want to do a Lake Malawi tank. That being said my KH is 90 ppm and my GH 140ppm and my pH 8-8.2. I used an API test kit for all readings. My question is if I try and raise KH will I send my pH through the roof?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
What is your pH after the water sits in a container for 24 hours.

I probably would not try to alter the KH.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KH is the ability to buffer against increasing acid level so as long as my dKH is equal to or greater than 4.5 my pH should be stable and able to fight off the increasing acid levels that occur from the nitrogen cycle and thusly keeping a stable pH. Additionally, weekly water changes also help to control Nitrates i.e nitric acid. KH does not really affect fish directly, unlike GH which refers to calcium/magnesium these help fish with internal osmotic processes.
In conclusion, I agree that I don't need to try and tamper with my KH. Now my GH on the other hand.....

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Why don't you just see if your pH stays stable over time. That is the goal so don't tinker if pH is stable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will do that for sure. I just get bored during the cycle and try to convince myself that it would be fun to tinker and try to get the water as close to what occurs in nature.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kdizzle said:
I will do that for sure. I just get bored during the cycle and try to convince myself that it would be fun to tinker and try to get the water as close to what occurs in nature.
Are you going to be purchasing wild caught fish? If not, the fish will have never been exposed to conditions that occur in nature.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd like to piggy back on this thread. Regarding Kh and Gh and it's relation to Ph, my Ph goes down to 7.8-7.9 after 2 water changes. At that point I chemically raise the Ph, but all the water parameters are good. Should I even care about Kh and Gh at this point?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are good parameters?
It is good to care just to understand how they are related and work together to create a stable environment over a "perfect" environment.
My understanding is If pH is going down then your KH is not equipped to buffer the amount of acids in your tank and hold it steady. KH is always being used up because of the constant production of nitrate.
GH does not have the direct relationship to pH that KH does.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
If your pH is stable at 7.6 or higher, I would not worry about KH or GH.

pH of 7.8 is perfectly fine for African Rift Lake cichlids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts