Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For the past 2 weeks iI have been doing water changes to my 55 gallon aquarium. Usually I am doing about 70-80% twice a week (Tuesday and Fridays). The reason I do so much during the week is because the previous months I was not doing them at all. I know, that's bad. Therefore I am doing them consistently to get all the fish waste, algae, and other stuff out of the water to make it clean again and be more responsible.

I bought an AP freshwater master test kit. My question is how long after I do these water changes should I wait before I test the water chemistry and have accurate results?

Also now that I have been doing these massive water changes, When can I back off and start only doing about 30% water changes twice a week?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Once the fliters are back on and water is circulating for 10-15 minutes, go ahead and test for nitrate. Once it's down to <20ppm and you feel you've siphoned out all the solid wastes that you can, then you can go to a normal change routine. Just keep an eye on nitrates and let that be your guide as to how much and how often. 40% or so weekly is probably about the norm, but it can vary depending on fish loading, feeding, etc.

I'd also suggest testing pH and KH out of the tap and tank. Let your tap water sit for 24 hours before testing. Depending on the fish that you're keeping, you may also have to start adding buffers to the water to keep pH stable. But again, it depends on what you're keeping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.