Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had knee surgery to repair a torn ACL/Meniscus, so carrying 5 gallon buckets around the house is out of the question when doing water changes. I have a split entry house, and both tanks are in the basement. Also all my water sources are upstairs, other than the hot/cold lines to my washer.

Does anyone know if they make an adapter/coupler to connect a hose to my kitchen or bathroom sink? I know I can get a longer hose for my vacuum to siphon water out the basement door. Anyone have any other ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
355 Posts
Buying a Python clean & fill system was honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made!!!!! My number of tanks quickly doubled after I bought it though because it made cleaning the tanks so much easier lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How do you monitor the temp of the water you are adding? I take the tank temp with a digital thermometer and then put the monitor in my fill buckets while I fill them with water to make sure the new water is the exact temp as the tank. It doesn't seem like you have enough control of the temperature :-?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You flip a switch from suction to fill - as water comes out you simply feel it with your hand and adjust - if you're a little off the fish will forgive you and the rest of the water will balance it out

·
Registered
355 Posts
Aedes said:
You flip a switch from suction to fill - as water comes out you simply feel it with your hand and adjust - if you're a little off the fish will forgive you and the rest of the water will balance it out
Yep this is exactly how I do it also and as it's filling up I add some dechlorinator to the tank. Never had an issue doing it this way.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I take it there is no laundry sink. I will assume there is a floor drain. Siphon to the floor drain, and If I were you, I would add a set of taps in the basement, either by adding a laundry tub, or just a set of taps, tied into the water lines for the washer. This way, you can use a RV hose for fills, and can more easily adjust the temp, since you will be near the tanks. Using a Python to siphon up hill is a terrible waste of water. You can probably add the tub with taps for about the cost of a Python.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I second what BILLD says above. I don't use the python for cleaning my substrate and removing my water any longer. Like bill says, it's a very big huge waste of water. I simply siphon my water from my tanks with a pice of hose about 4 to 5 feet long like you have on your canister filters (or any other type of hose) INTO an old 55 gallon plastic drum. Then from there i have a pondmaster pump that pumps it from the barrel into my floor drain about 25 feet away... it makes it very easy and much faster then using my python. I only use the python for filling the tank now.

Definitely get a pipe system hooked up in your basement for sure.. really helps....
Cheers!!!
sheldon

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ahhh I guess i didn't quite read the entire first post and yes I agree trying to use the python system to siphon up the stairs would use a lot of water and probably wouldn't have very good suction either. Works great for ground floor use though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
what i do to save on the water bills is simply start the suction manually. (sucking on the end) and then just hook up the lines before the water gets to the sink. not as much suction but itll save money. also guys, water flows easier going down so upstairs would make the process faster if anything.... all you need for good suction is tank level higher then where-ever your draining to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd be embarrassed to describe in detail the procedure/method I use to do weekly water changes on my 150g. Suffice it to say my wife is in fear if anything happens to me how'd she'd do WCs. I figure atleast she has one reason to keep me around and the exercise does me good. I will need to modify my method as I age though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got off the bucket brigade after years of sloshing buckets - Life is so much easier! Do it, you wont regret it. Water changes are no longer a drag and take half the time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I will probably just use the sink upstairs to fill. I can use the drain in my laundry room when I vacuum, that way I'm not going uphill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been draining into a 5gal bucket and refilling running laps with 2 1-gallon milk jugs upstairs to my daughter's room (her tank). Its a 20 gal so 5 trips (twice a week). I was recently turned onto the Python method and will be building or buying one this weekend. Especially since there is a 55 or 75 gallon tank in the near future.

Its like they say...work smarter not harder hahaha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts