Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a mbuna tank with 10 fish, 46G Euro "bowfront" tank. I'm reading a nice little book called Aquarium Care of Cichlids by Claudia Dickinson. I'm impressed by a recommendation about changing 60% water daily.

Right from page 52 of the book: "... a daily change of at least 60 percent of the water, preferably more, would be closing in on ideal..."

What do you think about this? I'm trying to change about 20-30% daily since I read this (python syphon is perfect for this). The fish seem to be happy about it and the water is crystal clear, pH has maintained, etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

My assumption is that perhaps she is trying to say that this is what you would have to do to maintain natural water parameters found in the lakes themselves?

I don't even know this for sure... but I'm assuming that Nitrate levels in the lakes are very very low or zero because it is a more complete ecosystem... In an aquarium we don't have access to all the natural resources found in the lakes to make the "perfect" living environment for these fish. However, that being said, african cichlids do just fine when you keep nitrate levels relatively low (below 40 ppm).

I would never keep fish if I had to do daily water changes.... that would take the fun out of it for me.

If you want to keep doing it and your fish don't mind (which I have to wonder about given the temp fluctuations and water chemistry adjustments that are taking place on a daily basis... not to mention sticking a syphon in there everyday is stressing them out too!!!) by all means... have at it...

but it is incredibly unneccessary!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
TheeMon said:
dude a once a week water change is all thats needed. but others will chrim in with real examples
The problem with any golden rule, whether 60% daily or the opposite of once per week, is that it could lead to very very bad choices!!!

You must change water with a frequency and volume that will keep the total waste products produced below lethal/overly stressful levels.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are the three usual things we measure, though if you mess with those via plants or resins then you may find it harder to know when and how much.

For some tanks, this may be as much as 60% daily... on others, this may be as little as 15% monthly.

As mentioned, if nitrates are your measure for pollution, change water of a volume and frequency to keep nitrates below a ppm level appropriate to the species in the tank.

For Malawi mbuna, 40ppm in an unplanted tank would be a great maximum ppm level.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It eases my mind a little to know now that I don't have to freak if they hit 40 ppm. Thanks. I'll still do my weekly changes enough to bring them under 20ppm though.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dewdrop said:
It eases my mind a little to know now that I don't have to freak if they hit 40 ppm. Thanks. I'll still do my weekly changes enough to bring them under 20ppm though.
I think what Number6 is saying is that once those nitrates reach the 40 range, it's time to do a water change.

That's pretty much my rule of thumb, too, but I prefer to see them at 20!

·
Registered
103 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
Dewdrop said:
I think what Number6 is saying is that once those nitrates reach the 40 range, it's time to do a water change.

That's pretty much my rule of thumb, too, but I prefer to see them at 20!
I've been keeping mine under 10ppm. I guess I should relax a little. Maybe I'm over doing it.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
there's NO such thing as too large of a water change... there can be too great of a difference in water parameters, but if you match up all water parameters, then 100% water changes are just peachy... if enough water changes to keep nitrates below 10ppm is what has been working, keep it up.

Only fix what's broke!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts