Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 inch jag in a 48 gal tank (I know it needs to be bigger and it will be soon) how much water and how regular should I change (eg 1 third a fortnight)

Just wondering

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lostnight said:
25% weekly shouldn't be too painful, how is your filtration?
it is a juwel vision 180 using the internal filter plus an external filter that is capable for 150 gallons.

plus *** got anti algae and water clarity sachet things in the filter so its all nice and sparkly :thumb:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'd say more like 50% per week is a more realistic amount to go by, but we won't really know what the 'magic number' is until you test for nitrAtes. As long as the regular water changes are keeping nitrAtes at or below about 20 ppm at all times, you should be set. Always be mindful of tapwater nitrAte levels which, if they are present in any significant amounts, could drastically alter the way you should be maintaining your water changing schedule.

And just to clarify, the 'extra' filtration you mentioned definitely doesn't hurt---especially with a large, messy fish in a relatively small tank. However, it will not get rid of the nitrAtes. That needs to be done via water changes.

BV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.