Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys after reading loads of posts on this forum *** started doing 50% water changes (Every 5/7 Days)

Would you say this is too much?

Cheers For Any Replies

Brucey

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Sounds good to me. What are your nitrates before and after a water change? Do your fish like it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitrates are a lot less, but i've never went over a 30% water change lol, doing a 50% i start to panic ...

Especially my 92 gallon tank in the livingroom (My Oscar Tank) i had my missus out measuring half the tank so i wouldnt go over ....

Even then it seems to much, altho my fish dont seem to mind tbh, and i hear folk do 75% changes :-?

Brucey

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Well if you do a 50% change then the nitrates would always be half what they were. The question is, can you keep the nitrates below 20ppm with a weekly 50% water change?

·
Registered
674 Posts
It also depends on what your incoming water is like. For locations with water that has saturated CO2 or little buffering capacity, you'll get quite a bit of fluctuation in the tank when you do larger volume water changes. Here, I regularly do 80% changes on bristlenose growout tanks with no problem. I've lived places where 40% changes stressed the fish though. It really just depends on your individual conditions and parameters. Watch the fish. They'll tell you if you're doing too much.

Barbie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts