Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing up an old topic but curious to see if anyone here has learned anything new about the subject? I know water quality is the most important factor for faster healthier growth low nitrates etc etc. Recently stocked my tank with all juvies and have perfect water conditions (thank goodness for well water). I've been doing small water changes meticulously around 20-25% everyday (keeping nitrates around 5ppm). I'm not sure but maybe it's my imagination or wishful thinking but everyday they look bigger and gaining more color (even the bristle nose plecos which were maybe and I mean maybe a inch probably less when I added them a week ago seem to be larger). So any new research or experiences from anyone. Feeding schedules water change schedules any info or criticism welcome!

My 125 20 all male haps/peacocks 5 cuckoos and 3 bristlenose plecos
20-25% daily
3xs a day feeding very very light all 3xs
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm maybe less(hate the API color chart)
PH 8.4
GH/KH 400ppm+
Temp 80F
Fish are all extremely healthy and happy! Very happy to be back into the hobby I missed for the last 5 years!

As mentioned in a previous post 3 HOBS till I can upgrade to 2 FX6's

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
If you know your fish are males then they are not juveniles. A weekly 50% PWC will remove more "old" water than daily changes. No need to feed more than 1X daily but 3X works as long as you feed 1/3 of the daily amount each time.

Everything looks good. Glad you are enjoying the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks DJ was hoping you'd chime in. My mistake about the juvies figured anything that wasn't fry would still be considered a juvie.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My own preference is the weekly large water change versus more frequent smaller ones. Using the Python + water pump the large water changes are just as easy as the small ones, but just take more time is all. I do one 75% WC every 5-7 days in my tanks.

My africans supplier has an electronic water change system that does 10% daily water changes in all his tanks. But all these tanks are barebottom and he feeds them once a day very sparingly. He said the 10% WC works for his system rather than a larger weekly one.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
A continuous drip system is great. I hope to get mine operational some day. You can have substrate and décor with this...the filtration is unchanged. But if you are going to actually change water you are better off with one large weekly change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts