Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recent to the fish game after a 20 year absence

I use to carry pitchers of water and add to a tank after a water change, treating each pitcher for chlorine before adding

now I would like to add temp correct water from the faucet.

do I treat the aquarium for its size of 60gal before adding faucet water or?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Check the bottle. This is what it says for Prime.

USE: Use 1 capful (5 mL) of Seachem Prime for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new or replacement water. For best results, add Seachem Prime to new water first. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. For smaller volumes, use 2 drops per gallon.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
The manufacturer says yes. Let's see what other Members say.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to treat each 5 gallon bucket of water before adding it to the tank. When I switched to using a python I clearly couldn't do this, so now add the Prime to the tank whilst filling directly.

The Prime bottle also says: "May be added to the aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume".

I have a 85 gallon tank, change 50% of the water each week, and just dose for 85g as I'm refilling, mixing the Prime in using the flow from the python to disperse it. The filters remain off until the tank has been refilled, so presumably the Prime has been diluted throughout the tank water prior to that water hitting the media in my canisters. I've seen no difference in terms of water parameters or fish behaviour between using a python like this vs buckets. It's significantly less hassle to change 40g+ of water with a python, and takes a lot less time! I can't imagine using buckets on anything bigger, and looking back I do wonder why I didn't switch to a python ages ago.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I aslo use the python and do 50% per week. I try to get the temp as close as possible and add treatment while filling up. Never had a problem due to water changes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agree, getting the tap temperature similar to the tank waters is a must for me, I don't want the heater doing any extra work and costing me more - let your boiler do the work.
As for adding prime I like to put half my dose in as it's first filling and half the dose as it's not far from finished filling.
I always add a tad more Prime than what the bottle says just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I treat for the tank volume (rounded up or down) with safe and add it to the tap water as it's going in the tank. ie: 1tsp in a 210g tank and 1/4 tsp in a 40g

·
Registered
641 Posts
aconite said:
If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume"
Besides this I always add at least double what the recommended dose is for when my water company flushes the lines with chlorine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts