Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Water Change...

421 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PfunMo 
#1 ·
I just want to know if there is a limit on water change???

How many times can I change the water in a week and how much of it can I change each time???

#2 ·
Depends on the fish and you're water source. If it's a good water source, meaning agreeable to the fishes, then there's no limit really. My tap has never bothered my fish, so I could easily do 50% changes daily or more. But, obviously I don't.

More details might help us to give you a better answer as to what you can do.

Have water changes ever stressed the fish you're currently keeping?

What is the KH, GH, and pH of your tap?

What fish are you keeping, approx age, size, etc?

Tank size, filtration or any other details?

#3 ·
If the new water temperature, PH,KH,GH were the same as the tank water there would be no limit as Tim said. That is very rare to be that lucky. What the water changing does is dilute any pollution in the tank from fish waste. If we change some water and it is a little bit different than the tank, the fish will not be bothered much. But if we put a lot of water in that is not the same temperature, it may chill them. We try to change enough water to get the pollution down without shocking the fish. How much that is depends on al;l the things mentioned and is different for most tanks and water. Much depends on the water source you have and how well it matches your tank water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.