Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had tanks for almost 25 years now and when doing water changes I've always filled a bucket or trash can or pitcher... added salts, declor, and what ever I needed. Then found some way to get that water into the tank. Depending on the tank (150gallon) thats the headache of a water change to me. Im new to the forum and recently read about people just running the hose straight into the tank and adding whats needed straight in also. Whats your input on this? I always thought it would shock or even kill the good bacteria.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I prefer to mix my water before adding to the tank. I don't fell i would have enough control of the temperature using the hose, also it is a waste to dechlor for the entire tank volume, when I only change 10 - 15 gallons at a time.

Maybe if I ever get around to setting up a fishroom, with 20+ tanks, I might come up with a new system, but for now, I'll do it one bucket at a time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get a python or similar that hooks to your kitchen or bathroom sink, and mix the hot and cold water to get something close temp wise.

Add enough dechlorinator to the tank to treat the volume you just changed before you start adding water. You don't need to treat the entire tank volume. The dechlorinator basically binds up the toxic chlorine into harmless salts. This happens fairly fast once you get the filter and circulation going, and the fish or bacteria have to be exposed for a while before it becomes toxic.

Think about it this way. Tap water has for example, 100 chlorine ions in the volume you just changed. The dechlorinator is dosed to neutralize those 100 ions. It doesn't care if they are in 10 gallons of water of 100 gallons of water. It will find them and attract them like a magnet, binding them up and neutralizing them.

That's the theory, and I've done it in practice for around 20 years without incident.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That may work for you, and that's fine, but the directions on the bottle of prime say if adding directly to tank, dose for entire tank volume.

I am also not willing to drag 45 feet of hose around the house twice a week to do small water changes in 3 tanks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Bungalowdan said:
Get a python or similar that hooks to your kitchen or bathroom sink, and mix the hot and cold water to get something close temp wise.

Add enough dechlorinator to the tank to treat the volume you just changed before you start adding water. You don't need to treat the entire tank volume. The dechlorinator basically binds up the toxic chlorine into harmless salts. This happens fairly fast once you get the filter and circulation going, and the fish or bacteria have to be exposed for a while before it becomes toxic.

Think about it this way. Tap water has for example, 100 chlorine ions in the volume you just changed. The dechlorinator is dosed to neutralize those 100 ions. It doesn't care if they are in 10 gallons of water of 100 gallons of water. It will find them and attract them like a magnet, binding them up and neutralizing them.

That's the theory, and I've done it in practice for around 20 years without incident.
Yup thats what I have been doing since day one as soon I got my python and havent lost a fish or had a mini cycle yet. Only thing different I do is that I was always told when doing it this way to treat the total tank volume not just the amount your replacing and it has worked for me. Did the whole bucket carrying thing and pumping it back in w/ a powerhead for the first couple months, but this is way faster and lot less of a mess.

Does anyone else just treat amount of water being replaced when refilling with a hose?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I turned my wetbar in my house into my mini fish room. I have a sink 2" away from my african aquarium. Im going to try it, this will make water changing a breeze.

What about my salts and baking soda. Would I mix enough for the amount of water im changing in a small container and add as the water goes in?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I know for salts n buffers only add for amount of water your replacing or it will build up in your water? Do u have soft water? Is that y you are adding salt?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I feel it is safe to do the Prime either way but for comfort, I do treat the entire tank volume when adding directly to the tank. Looking at the price difference, I see no reason to wonder. Over the years, I have now moved to having a reserve water supply which I treat and let rise to temperature but that is more a matter of convenience. For other chemicals, I always advise mixing to a liquid before adding. Even if it is only salt, It is better to add it in a way that you don't get a really high concentration in one end or something. I pour liquid into the stream from the hose as I'm refilling so that it is moved and mixed well.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have been doing as Bungalowdan for 7 years - just adding enough chemical for the water I am replacing. Maybe more does not hurt but why be wasteful and use too much chemical?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
kajunfish
what works for one persons tap water may not work for the next since tap water cab be so different from area to area.

I've lived in 3 cities over the last 10 yrs each with a completely different water supply.

City 1: I had to "age" all tap water or filter it.

City 2: I could run a water line right to the tank and add dechlor for the tank volume

City 3: current home- I can run a water line and only need enough Prime to treat the added water.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I now use a python myself and this question was something I had questions on. I ended up buying a pump that fits into a 5g bucket . I then drain water and place my empty 5g buckets in front of the tank and begin filling and adding anything needed. I put a hose on the end of the pump and made a couple of turns out of pvc to slow the flow down. Place in tank and plug in pump. My pump does 21gpm so thats why I made the turns. It takes away from picking up water and you can get a lot done. It cut water changes down on my 125 at least in half. I have 11 tanks in the house and do water changes on Sundays, it did take 3 hours before. Now it only takes just over an hour. The pump i purchased from northern tool for $30 and some tubing to fit. Draining is your choice , I'm sure you know the fastest way to get it done. Just my $.02 :thumb:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use Bungalowdan's method successfully - the best part about the python is there is little chance of getting poopy fish water all over the hardwood floors. It's also great for cleaning substrate. I'd rather setup the 50' python hose once than make 50 trips back and forth to the sink, but hey lugging buckets of water is good exercise!

·
Registered
45 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Does anyone else just treat amount of water being replaced when refilling with a hose?
Yeah that's what I do with my Python. I do weekly changes of 25-30% water. I add my dechlor stuff as I refill, it doesn't have to be very accurate measurements. Haven't had an issue yet. I also use Kent cichlid buffer + cichlid salts (added after each water change). Check the pH, kh and GH monthly and there is hardly any fluctuations.

Once you get the measurements down, its literally the same thing every water change.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I guess I am pretty lucky. My water goes straight in the tank, from the sink, with a python. I am on a well, so no dechlor, it is pretty hard with a ph of about 7.7. So all I gotta do is get the temperature right and start filling.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i also use a python. i suck what i want out then fill it with new tap water that is about the same temp. while its filling i add the declor for the amount changed not the whole tank. also if replacing less than 10% there is no need for declor. i know no one does that small of water changes but for topping your tank off declor is not needed. *** never lost a fish sense i started doing it this way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts