Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get away from going straight from Tap to Aquarium with Python Hose.

I guess i'll finally use a 25G container and have conditioned water ready for water changes, as many others have...Supposed to be the best practice...

So looking for 25G container to keep next to my 55G tank to keep the water...
and,
A pond pump or something to pump back into aquarium....

Suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have used rubbermaid totes before to store water in although it wont look too appealing if it is in a main sitting room or something like that.

As for pumping it into the tank I have an extra Maxi-Jet 1200 laying around that I use. The hose from a cheap syphon gravel vac fits on the outlet perfect (think it is like 1/2" ID). Just put in container of water with hose ran into tank and plug it in. I use a 5 gallon bucket and it empties it in about 1 minute pushing it up about 4 feet. I seen a couple websites had these Powerheads real cheap like $20 or maybe a dollar or two more.

Hope this helps ya out.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find some of the plastic containers do not hold up well. Before buying one, I suggest holding it up and looking from the inside out for thin spots in the plastic. If light shows through, it indicates it may not hold water for long. Many of the trash and storage containers are not designed for water which is much heavier than trash,clothes, etc. I found for long term use and peace of mind I like a plastic barrel. Micro brewers are a good source for these as they get malt in them. Here in the Austin area they sell them for ten dollars. Once you have a container many small pumps will do the job. One I have used is the CA1800 pump from Catalina Aquarium. Nice small pump that delivers enough without going overboard so that it is hard to control. Adequate flow without blowing the sand around.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/index.php?cPath=27_28

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find a simple DIY remote switch is very handy to control the pump to fill the tank. Something like this makes it easy to control flow from the tank rather than plugging/unplugging the pump.

My Barrel and remote switch tether.

This setup makes it super easy to control the water while using the tube to flush in and under things to move the debris out where I can get to it. Nice to be able to see what the water is doing and control it without having to go back to the pump. Makes water changing much more fun.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
PfunMo That is an awesome idea. Wish I had the room to set something like this up. I use the python and haven't had any problems so I guess there isn't any need for me to do it, but I like to make cool little contraptions like this.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Its funny that you bring this up,I plan on doing the same thing,
I,m getting a 55 gallon plastic barrel tomorrow,
I find adding water to my tanks and treating with prime and baking soda etc.water temp with the python to be not as consistent as the water already in my tanks,
like you said matching treated water would be much more accurate,and not subjecting my fish with different water parameters,
I plan on using a maxi-jet and attaching an air line to it,a heater and some hose that I still need to get,I,ll probably rig a shut off valve for ease of use

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Do you guys plan on running a heater in your water storage barrels? My tanks is always 78-79deg and obviously I dont keep my house that warm. So how do you match the temps?

I have been using my digital tank thermometer to set the water temp coming out of the faucet to the proper range then adding it to the tank. Always been within a deg, and I am lucky enough to have super hard water (if you call that lucky) so I have never needed to buffer at all.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I find turning the taps on full,temp is 78 F,but yes I,m going to hang a heater in the barrel and a floating thermometer,because I,m going to add buffers,I,ll test the water to match the tank,I,ll keep track of how much I,ll add to the barrel that way I,ll know exactly how much for next time

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've been using a Rubbermaid Brute but will eventually need to switch to a barrel (as highlighted by Pfunmo's caution). Newforestrob, where are you getting your barrel from?

I have to say adding water to the tank this way (transferring water to a container with a hose, treating it, bringing it to the right temperature and then pumping it into the tank) is great. I'm able to do large water changes without worry and my tropheus always seem happier after I'm done. :thumb:

BTW Pfunmo's contraption is a great idea. For those who are electrically challenged though (like me), a less elegant solution is to plug the pump into a power bar that has an on/off switch. I keep the power bar near my foot and if I need to turn the pump off I do so by hitting the off switch with my big toe. If necessary, I can also just hold onto the bar with my free hand and hit the switch with my thumb.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No argument at all with not doing the DIY gizmo route! I may just have too much time to fiddle with things like that. I first did the storage tank way back about 1975 when my water was only treated with chlorine. It was a way to avoid using chemicals to remove the chlorine as it was simple to just let the water stand overnight with a bubbler in the barrel. The chlorine was gone by the time I wanted to use the water. I was pretty disappointed to find that I had chloramine treated water here and would need to use chemicals to remove it. I do use a heater with a preset temp to get the water up to close to tank temp and an airstone to keep the stored water stirred. My water here is extremely hard and will form a slick on top if not moving. I feel that might lead to a low O2 content if I waited too long. With a full reserve of water on hand I feel no pain from doing even a 90% water change when called for when catching fish or such. The water going in is much closer to the old water and the fish never seem to flash or show other signs of stress so we both like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts