Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i have a problem about water change. Wish someone could help. I have a 900ltr aquarium with lot of rocks in it. i make water changes every 1 month by changing 200ltrs of water. nitrates levels seems to be stucked at 160ppm. And its impossible for me to clean gravel because i have live rocks standing on each other. Wont risk to drop one and make a mess. how should i lower nitrates level please? fish eats once a day. Only have 6 malawis in it. i have 2 canister filters to circulate water. its a 1500l/h each. Thanks

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Instead of doing less than 25% water changes per month, try doing 50% weekly.
P.S don't stack your rocks on top of the substrate. Put the rocks directly on the tank bottom.
When was the last time you cleaned out the canisters?

·
Registered
139 Posts
50% water change weekly is the standard operating procedure most often recommend around here. I usually only can get to water changes about every 10 days, so I always change at least 60% on mine. This brings my nitrates to 10ppm after a change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I surely will do more frequent water changes. Last time cleaned where a month ago and every 2 months rrplace filter charcoal

·
Registered
139 Posts
noddy said:
Instead of doing less than 25% water changes per month, try doing 50% weekly.
P.S don't stack your rocks on top of the substrate. Put the rocks directly on the tank bottom.
When was the last time you cleaned out the canisters?
Noddy beat me to it!

I would do a 30% today, about 50% in 2-3 days, about 60% 2 days after that and another 75 2-3 days after that. Then I'd do 50% weekly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts