Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation is this.. I will have 115-gallon tanks WITH city water that needs to have either the chorine removed, or sit for a day or two before I add it to my tank. I am also going to get a 300-gallon in a month.. That means with weekly 25% H2O changes I will have to remove around 100 gallons... With three five-gallon buckets, that is going to be a workout!!
:x :oops:
My idea is that I have a 45-gallon hard rubber plastic trough filled with warm H2O on my second floor. When 24 hours pass, I will python the needed H20 out of the tank(s), then have another 30 or so foot thick python type hose attached to the trough by a heavy clip, then run the hose down to the tank I am going to add the H20 too, then suck until I get the H2O coming down then put it in my tank. When the water gets cold (in the 24 hours) I will put a 40-gallon submersible heater in the bottom of the trough to match the temp of the tanks. I know I will also have to add more H2O in the trough and dechornate when needed...

Good Idea? :D
Bad Idea? :-?
Comments?
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Why bother using two pythons and a big bin to do the job that one python could do? Just fill directly and treat with prime. If cost is a concern then buy it in the 2L size from dr foster smith. It'll last well over a year.

Plus, if your source has chloramines(and many do) then chlorine will not evaporate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 110g and a 225g and use the python with 20' extension and it works GREAT.

Good advice to purchase the python and also as stated before you can add conditioner directly to the tank.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you have to treat the H20 before you put it in the tank right? The python I have right now is to short, can you just buy more of it and add it on?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I add prime directly to the tank water as it is filling up. Perfectly ok to do so. :thumb: I have approx. 10' of garden hose added onto my python to reach my tanks. You can buy quick-disconnect couplings from your LFS or on line.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just add the amount of prime for the ENTIRE tank volume. The wardley product is junk compared to prime. If you have to, buy it online. One bottle lasts forever...

I also bought an airator screw attachment for my kitchen sink so I don't have to keep taking off the airator. It has threads on the outside(not as pretty as standard) but way more convenient for my tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts