Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a faily new 45g corner aquarium with a built in overflow. I have been doing regular water changes, but I realized that the water that I am removing is within the living quarters only. The question I have is, with a built in overflow, how do I do a normal 20 - 25% water change and take in consideration for the water in the overflow.

The reason I am asking is, with a 20 - 25% water change within the living quarters of the aquarium, to me I would need to take out almost 50% of the water. because wihtin the overflow there is still tons of water.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I may be wrong, but wouldnt the new water being added mix with the water in the overflow anyhow? Its not like the water in the tank and the overflow are permanently separated so it should be just fine as long as your keeping the nitrates in check.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I realize that. LOL it is a little hard to explain what I am trying to ask, let me try another way. Ok with consideration of the overflow having a percentage of the water, what percentage of the living quarters area water do I remove.

I.E. will 20% of the living quarters water really equals only about a 10% water change since there is water in the overflow. Or is the 20% a true 20% of the total volume of water.

If this doesnt make sense I apologize and we can remove this post

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lol I get what you saying now. You tanks volume should be rated for what the entire thing will hold, "living quarters" and the overflow. So say it is a 100g tank for easy numbers, if you take out and change 20g that would 20% of total volume.

I wouldnt think that the overflow would hold anymore than a few gallons so I would just go by the percantage of the total tank like I said above. Also there isnt a minimum amount of water to change, it is just done to help lower the nitrates in the tank. So as long as whatever amount your changing is keeping your nitrates down in the 10ppm or so range I wouldnt worry about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts